News:

Main Menu

Small win

Started by frailer, March 30, 2009, 04:35:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Our in-house GDs, (essentially glorified paste-up puppies, IMO), have been wedded to Quack forever. Main lady sent me a rude email about a year ago, when I suggested that using Indy may be a way round a problem. "Hasn't anyone told how difficult it is to edit type in InDesign!?"

Get a job from her today; I assume it's an outside job, which she's had to re-vamp in some way. A later phone converstion reveals, towards the end..."I did it in InDesign, I like it...I'll be trying to do most jobs in it now".
All without blinking an eyelid over the phone... :rolleyes:

Had to chuckle quietly when I got off the phone. There's hope yet.   :cheesy:  This is a person it is impossible to have a "peer" discussion with. Knows the lot.  I await the weird transparency effects. My life may have just got more difficult; if more interesting.    :laugh:

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Chelle

Yay you, Frailer! Congrats! :grin:
Due to lack of interest, today has been cancelled....

FACT OF LIFE: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F

PrepressCrapFixer

Glad to hear it Frailer.  They will ALL come around eventually, the words out on you Quark....YOU SUCK and you're so 20th century - Get with the times for Christ sake!
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

gnubler

Quote from: frailer on March 30, 2009, 04:35:26 AM"Hasn't anyone told how difficult it is to edit type in InDesign!?"

That's the kind of stupidity that would have made me want to punch her in the face. Lame excuse for her refusal to learn.

My switch from Quark to InDesign was not difficult at all - didn't even read through a manual or anything. After a couple of days, I got it. Buh bye Quark.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on March 30, 2009, 09:00:41 AMThat's the kind of stupidity that would have made me want to punch her in the face.

Oh, believe me, the urge has come and gone at times. But am quietly grateful she has made the switch. Not the least reason being...you guessed it.

She can no longer "style" fonts!

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

frailer, there can be no winning in prepress. Even when you think you've won a small battle...give it a few days and something will bite you in the ass. But enjoy it while you can. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

OMG Joe, that's the nail on the head there!
That my biggest source of frustration: Fighting battles I've already one multiple times and years before  :blowup:
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

hotmetal

Quote from: Joe on March 30, 2009, 01:35:36 PMfrailer, there can be no winning in prepress. Even when you think you've won a small battle...give it a few days and something will bite you in the ass. But enjoy it while you can. :laugh:

I am currently chuckling over the email I got from Quark the other day. They're offering special deals on anyone with an un-upgraded copy of 3.x, 4.x, or 5.x to upgrade directly to 8! The email came to a very old email address of mine, not the one my Official Quark Account has listed, causing me to suspect they are data-mining the bottom of the barrel for untapped upgraders.

Go Frailer!
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson

Joe

Quote from: hotmetal on March 31, 2009, 06:08:43 PM
Quote from: Joe on March 30, 2009, 01:35:36 PMfrailer, there can be no winning in prepress. Even when you think you've won a small battle...give it a few days and something will bite you in the ass. But enjoy it while you can. :laugh:

I am currently chuckling over the email I got from Quark the other day. They're offering special deals on anyone with an un-upgraded copy of 3.x, 4.x, or 5.x to upgrade directly to 8! The email came to a very old email address of mine, not the one my Official Quark Account has listed, causing me to suspect they are data-mining the bottom of the barrel for untapped upgraders.

Go Frailer!

I got that too. They are trying to get software pirates to upgrade as well. Don't have a serial number for Q3, 4, or 5...no problem. You can still upgrade to Quark 8 for $299.00... :undecided:

Unfortunately we need another copy of Quark so we'll probably grab a copy of 8 and then we'll at least have it when some misguided soul sends us a Quark 8 file.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

beermonster

like gnub my changeover was so simple it was fun

actually the trap, masking and ink manager was all i spent some time faffing with - never looked back

some schmuck will still send quack chit tho
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

PrepressCrapFixer

Quote from: Joe on March 31, 2009, 06:40:42 PM

Go Frailer!

I got that too. They are trying to get software pirates to upgrade as well. Don't have a serial number for Q3, 4, or 5...no problem. You can still upgrade to Quark 8 for $299.00... :undecided:

Unfortunately we need another copy of Quark so we'll probably grab a copy of 8 and then we'll at least have it when some misguided soul sends us a Quark 8 file.
I heard about that, I think we will do the same thing here.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

hotmetal

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on April 01, 2009, 04:01:53 AM

Go Frailer!

You guys are such Boy Scouts!
Hunter S. Thompson

PrepressCrapFixer

Probably one of my all time favorites.

tapdn

Quote from: hotmetal on April 01, 2009, 07:15:41 PM

Go Frailer!

well... I was a Cub Scout- but I got kicked out for eating a brownie. :rolleyes:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

hotmetal

Quote from: tapdn on April 02, 2009, 10:14:01 AM
Quote from: hotmetal on April 01, 2009, 07:15:41 PM

Go Frailer!

well... I was a Cub Scout- but I got kicked out for eating a brownie. :rolleyes:

:wink:
Hunter S. Thompson