Curiouser and curiouser....

Started by determined, March 31, 2009, 11:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

determined

OK, I've got one that I'm seriously trying to figure out...Indesign CS4, file says I'm missing a font. Fine, but when I do a find font, it appears that it's in a "graphic", only the "graphic" is really only the type itself. I have been trying to figure out how the hell they pulled this one off and so far have been unsuccessful...anybody else run into this yet? I thought maybe it was from them dragging the file into a new document, but doing this did not affect any of the other actual fonts in the file...   :huh:
Murphy must have been in printing....

Joe

Quote from: determined on March 31, 2009, 11:37:52 AMOK, I've got one that I'm seriously trying to figure out...Indesign CS4, file says I'm missing a font. Fine, but when I do a find font, it appears that it's in a "graphic", only the "graphic" is really only the type itself. I have been trying to figure out how the hell they pulled this one off and so far have been unsuccessful...anybody else run into this yet? I thought maybe it was from them dragging the file into a new document, but doing this did not affect any of the other actual fonts in the file...   :huh:

I saw this recently on a job and there was thousands of these little bastids on the page of a map. I could not select them as text  which is hat they looked like but they were actually tiny little graphics. I found the font and the job printed okay but I never figured out how or why the designer did this.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

determined

same here, I have the font loaded and it all looks good, but I am DYING to know just how they did this (they probably don't even know how they did it) but DAMMIT I will find out (or die trying)....   :death:

determined

OK, somebody KILL ME!!   :laugh:

Joe

Every now and then I just figure there are some things I should not know. This is one of them. :laugh:

Stiv

I'm not sure, but I had this when the fonts were converted to paths and the font was still referenced.

Joe

I wonder if converting them to paths will break the text up into thousands of little graphics?

gnubler

Quote from: determined on March 31, 2009, 12:04:23 PMOK, somebody KILL ME!!   :laugh:

Welcome, Determined. You're prepress now.

(David...margarita...now)
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

determined

Quote from: Joe on March 31, 2009, 12:11:53 PMI wonder if converting them to paths will break the text up into thousands of little graphics?

Nope, been there done that....   :undecided:

jimking

Could it be a "cut and Paste" issue?

determined

Quote from: jimking on March 31, 2009, 01:02:36 PMCould it be a "cut and Paste" issue?

don't think so, I've tried all the variables on that that I can think of....   :banghead:

determined

And the plot thickens....I thought it might be a CS3>CS4 issue, so I hunted down a past brochure from these people that is in CS3 (with thoughts of trying some stuff from 3 to 4) and as it turns out, the "type" graphic is exactly the same in the CS3 version....hmmm   :huh:

DigitalCrapShoveler

The file was copy and pasted from AI, seen it a million times. We got a moroon here that does this shit constantly.
Member #285 - Civilian

determined

yeah but all the links are still intact and the rest of the type is still "type", not a graphic  :huh:

hold on there a second......OK, DCS, you get the prize today....apparently, they did one of those "drag" from illustrator to indesign and it does come in as a graphic.  WOW, ignorance truly is bliss.   :wink:

determined

thank you thank you thank you now I can sleep tonight   :wink: