4 contiguous pages, backed by 4

Started by frailer, February 03, 2010, 05:29:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

I don't mind crop marks at all in my PDFs. Yes I have been bit once or twice but It's also saved me a bunch of times. You all know the deal, rush job with limited (wrong) specs. You follow the specs written, impose it and check it and notice the marks in the artwork don't line up to the preps crops. Go back to the file and notice it's 8.125x10.875 not the 8.5x11 the specs call for. My default settings have the crops just a RCH into the bleed so if it's off I can see it in the imposed file. Worst case if the marks are an issue pitstop takes care of it. I did have one designer that put every friggin mark possible in the work .0625 away from the live area. Luckily she's a good one and listens so that got resolved right quick.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Syphon

Our clients seem to either have problems creating useful pdfs or they have no idea what the hell they are.
You guys are so lucky to get them.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on February 03, 2010, 06:44:52 PM
Quote from: Tracy on February 03, 2010, 06:10:42 PMYeah, Ive been bitten with the pdfs with crops, etc. and the art not being centered.
I mostly use the files I output and put into impo.
Im kinda freakish about things being mathmatically centered :laugh:

Me too. To the point of being obsessively freakish...if that is possible. :laugh:
:laugh:
prolly a lot less stressful not being freakish, but thats prepress!

typeman

Quote from: DCurry on February 03, 2010, 07:29:25 PMBy the way, this is a good way to split pages apart if you are dealing with a perfect-bound book and you need grindoff - when used with facing pages, the left and right pages will remain left and right but let you pull them apart so you can open up bleeds into the grindoff area.
If you do this be careful if the job has any crossovers. It can become a problem.

frailer

Crossovers and perfect bound are an unhappy mix, at the best of times. Occasionally, I've put my head on the block and pushed crossover pages out by a mm or 2, knowing that image will be lost regardless. Having some extra image at the spine would only help there, I'd imagine.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DCurry

Quote from: typeman on February 07, 2010, 05:44:51 AMIf you do this be careful if the job has any crossovers. It can become a problem.

Well, if there is a crossover that spread will not have to split apart since the bleed in the grindoff area will pick up more of the crossover image. The only way it's a problem is if some items crossover but others stop at the spine.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!