PACKZVIEW - Free PDF Quality Control Tool

Started by swampymarsh, January 15, 2018, 07:14:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swampymarsh

HYBRID software are offering a free stripped down "viewer" version of their PACKZ native PDF editor. Get your activation code for free at the following link:

http://www.view.packz.eu

http://www.viewdownload.packz.com

swampymarsh

It turns out that the "free" product expires at the end of January... When their sales dept. contacts me I'm sure that I will be given the full information (that was not stated when downloading/requesting license key).

Joe

Yeah I noticed that. Plus all it is basically is a stripped down PDF viewer. All you can do is open a PDF, zoom in and out and rotate the view. You can't edit anything because there is no Save or Save As function.

:facepalm:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

swampymarsh

Quote from: Joe on January 15, 2018, 02:42:00 PMYeah I noticed that. Plus all it is basically is a stripped down PDF viewer. All you can do is open a PDF, zoom in and out and rotate the view. You can't edit anything because there is no Save or Save As function.

:facepalm:

I was not expecting editing features as this is not the full PACKZ editor, it is just a viewer as the name suggests. It was advertised as a free QC tool. I presumed "free" as in perpetual, Acrobat Reader style.

So having the ability to view ink coverage, toggle seps on and off, wireframe view etc. in a free tool sounded like a great idea!

Many shops have a CSR or somebody in the middle before a job even gets to prepress, so having the ability to do a little manual quality control check without needing Acrobat Pro, PitStop Pro or Server etc. is a good thing (whether or not the CSR has the knowledge to know what they are looking at is another story). I have heard more than one person ask for Pro type features for Reader (viewing seps in particular).

Joe

OK I guess I didn't look at it long enough. I didn't realize you view seps. So I'm in agreement. It would be a great tool if free. The two week trial isn't going to convince me to buy it though.

swampymarsh

Quote from: Joe on January 15, 2018, 06:42:04 PMOK I guess I didn't look at it long enough. I didn't realize you view seps. So I'm in agreement. It would be a great tool if free. The two week trial isn't going to convince me to buy it though.

I have been in contact with HYBRID Software support, it appears that the software is perpetually licensed (once activated) – it is just the software version that is time limited and will require updating upon expiry.

Joe

This is actually a pretty decent tool if it stays functional and free.

Ever have a font you know is in a document but you don't know where it is? Go to the Fonts pallet and double click the font and it zooms you right in to it. And even labels it in the pallet with the text that is in the document. And the images pallet is pretty good too.

I urge everyone to get yourself a copy. Thanks for the info swampymarsh.

DPSprint

this sounds pretty good... i'm waiting for a licence key now.
Would mean the sales guys dont need to pester me with every single art pdf question, they might be able to answer some themselves!

Joe

It also has separation preview. You won't find that in Acrobat Reader.

Farabomb

Quote from: DPSprint on January 18, 2018, 07:42:01 PMthis sounds pretty good... i'm waiting for a licence key now.
Would mean the sales guys dont need to pester me with every single art pdf question, they might be able to answer some themselves!
Oh, you sweet summer child. You're a dear to think sales can actually do anything productive. They can do lunches, drink and do blow but that's not being productive.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DPSprint

Quote from: Farabomb on January 19, 2018, 07:01:43 AM
Quote from: DPSprint on January 18, 2018, 07:42:01 PMthis sounds pretty good... i'm waiting for a licence key now.
Oh, you sweet summer child. You're a dear to think sales can actually do anything productive. They can do lunches, drink and do blow but that's not being productive.

LOL

actually I have one guy who is really good... but he used to be a printer, and is young still so can remember how sales staff can cause grief... so he will like this.
 The other person... well lets just say he gets lots of negatives but still trundles along obliviously

DPSprint

I like this!
fab that it has a measure tool as well.

Farabomb

Sales will still try and use a ruler to measure it on screen. I've seen it happen more than once with a few different sales people.

They don't all suck but the vast majority do, big time.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DPSprint

well so far all the sales guys are actually pretty happy with it, so much better than the free acrobat reader.

Slappy

I put a request in like a week ago for a license - nothing back yet.  :cry:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.