Online Archiving

Started by Joe, July 24, 2012, 04:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Anyone using it? Any recommendations?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on July 24, 2012, 08:47:47 PMD'ya mean like Carbonite or Mozy or Backblaze?

Long term archival of jobs. Have you ever used those for that purpose?

frailer

Well, in OZ, but daughter has good pal who works for this lot. Pretty progressive/forward thinking. Not sure if your data crossing the big pond would be practical.   :undecided:  Also looks a bit big-end-of-town, but maybe that's just the testimonials. They may have fully scalable stuff.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on July 24, 2012, 09:03:45 PM
Quote from: Slappy on July 24, 2012, 08:47:47 PMD'ya mean like Carbonite or Mozy or Backblaze?

Long term archival of jobs. Have you ever used those for that purpose?
Ah, nope. I'd think an Amazon S3 type of deal would be a sound investment and I know I've seen some utilities that work with those setups. Kind of drawing a blank right now though, sry.  :sad:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Grimace

I heard about this really neat new thing called iCloud..... :sarcasm:

I hesitate to trust any cloud service for important info. Remember the big Microsoft server crash in 2006, I think. Or RIM's crash a couple of years ago.
I don't care how good the company is, shit happens.

andyfest

Amen brother...trust no-one in the cloud - well except for you-know-who.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

Only cloud I use is dropbox to backup my pictures on my phone.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

The company wants long term archiving off-site. Yeah the off-site server could crash but a decent company should have redundancy built in so if that happens you still don't lose anything. I'm not talking about backing up a computer so we have backups of apps and emails and that garbage. Actual job archives. The company doesn't want to invest in the cost of the hardware to do it ourselves or the cost of maintaining the hardware/archives. Hence an online archive solution with a monthly fee.

Looking into the links posted earlier as well Rackspace.

Slappy

I just realized one of our previous Sales types went to this place, and they have the kind of service you're after. Shit, I got nothing but time on my hands! I'll drop her a message & if you want to entertain the sales spiel I'll hook you two up. Sound good?

Joe

Sure...Joe at b4print dot com

Joe

mwc

Joe

Finally went with Amazon S3. Couldn't beat the price @ $0.125 per gigabyte up to one terabyte (cheaper after you get past 1 TB). You can access your buckets using CyberDuck. Pretty easy. No automation unless you pay out the wazoo but it's not that big of a deal to manually upload what we want stored off-site.

gnubler

Quote from: andyfest on July 25, 2012, 01:40:24 PMAmen brother...trust no-one in the cloud - well except for you-know-who.

Amen ditto2.

Rely on some distant stranger to secure & maintain your archives? In the end nothing good will come of it.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david