News:

Main Menu

Learning Pitstop 10

Started by Tracy, December 13, 2010, 04:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryber

Quote from: Blaze1 on June 20, 2012, 12:25:09 PMIts been a few years since I used Pitstop Pro, 8.5 I think it was.  I only used it for a couple of weeks and could have sworn it had a utility that displayed the dimensions and spaces of columns using the Inspector.  I've just started using version 11 and don't see this function there, so was I dreaming or are those layout dimensions hidden elsewhere? :huh:

I don't have it so I can't tell you where it is but I can tell you that every version that comes out has a completely different interface and it's like learning a whole new app. It's probably somewhere. DCS might know.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigitalCrapShoveler

I don't have Pitstop 11 yet. I run 10, but he mentions 11, although the thread is Pitstop 10. I confused....
Member #285 - Civilian

Skryber

I didn't know there was an 11. We don't use the program here so I have no Pitstop.  :cry:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

Quote from: Skryber on June 20, 2012, 12:38:56 PMI didn't know there was an 11. We don't use the program here so I have no Pitstop.  :cry:

In inspector you can view the size of any object selected. I think it is the tab next to the end of the far right...

You can also view the size of Page Boxes using the Page Box utility in Pitstop. I don't have 11 so I can't tell you the exact location but I know they didn't eliminate those functions from 10 to 11.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Regardless of version, just discovered the li'l dropdown button in Inspector 'Remove Transparency from Object'   :embarrassed:  Actually, it was even funnier, because my new 2IC discovered it for me.  :shhh:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

That's a dangerous button that I've found can do more harm than good. :wow: 

frailer

Yes, to my credit, they were my 1st thoughts.   :laugh:

Oops, edited wrong post.   

In this case, she was looking at one of her own rabbits, so potentially a shoot-in-foot situation. (right post now). Bear with me, it's 0630, and cold, by our standards.   :cold1:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Attachment #1: In Pitstop 10 this is where you can find the dimensions and position of any object selected

Attachment #2: These are your Design Layout tools that will show your page boxes. As far as I know there was never anything that would show "column" sizes.

frailer

Must look today and see what PSP version we're on. I know I keep getting reminders about the upgrade.   :undecided:  Suppose I should 'action' it.

Joe

You have 10...just like me.

frailer

There are no dot upgrades in PSP,  of course.   :embarrassed:  Not a good start. Think I should log in later, when properly awake.   :laugh:  Cheers...  :walker:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on June 20, 2012, 02:59:19 PMThere are no dot upgrades in PSP,  of course.   :embarrassed:  Not a good start. Think I should log in later, when properly awake.   :laugh:  Cheers...  :walker:

Actually Pitstop 10 Update 3 is what I have. I know we both got version 10 at about the same time. As did a few other folks on here.

David

I have 10 Update 2, did I miss something?

damn, I hate it when that happens.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Blaze1

Thanks for the replies.

Although this thread is about PP10, I assumed there would be enough similarity to be of help.

Quote from: Joe on June 20, 2012, 02:41:44 PMAttachment #1: In Pitstop 10 this is where you can find the dimensions and position of any object selected

Attachment #2: These are your Design Layout tools that will show your page boxes. As far as I know there was never anything that would show "column" sizes.

Thanks Joe.  I'd been messing around with that thinking there was a way to extract more information about page layout but there isn't unfortunately.

I don't believe InDesign has the feature of being able to display or extract column width data from a pdf without having the original template.  Perhaps it was Infix PDF Editior that did this?

Joe

The only thing that might work is if there is clipping path in the PDF that is the same size as the column. If you have an Indy document with columns that you know the size of, make a PDF and see if there is a clipping path that is the same size.