Android tablet preference

Started by Joe, November 27, 2012, 09:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

What would you pick between a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 16GB Titanium Silver (Wi-Fi) - Refurbished

Technical Specifications:
1.5GHz Dual-Core processor
8GB on-board storage memory
10.1" touchscreen, 1280 x 800 resolution
Built-in 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth v3.0
Additional Features:
Back 3MP webcam and front webcam
USB 2.0 port
8GB on-board storage memory, additional memory via microSD card slot
Lithium-polymer 4,000mAh battery
Weighs 0.76 lbs; 7.60" x 0.41" x 4.80" dimensions

and a

ASUS TF101A1 Eee Pad Transformer Android Refurbished Tablet - Android 3.0 Honeycomb, NVIDIA Tegra 2, 16GB Storage, 10.1" Capacitive Touch Screen Display? Both are about the same price.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

ASUS is the only motherboard I will buy when making PCs. That being said on one of their transformer tablets the back was aluminum and it killed the wi-fi and GPS reception. I'd check about that particular tablet to make sure it doesn't suffer from the same issues.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

ASUS makes the Google Nexus tablet. After using it for a few days now, I love the Nexus. Not sure if it's Jellybean vs. Gingerbread vs. Froyo, but it's the best Android device I've ever used. I've used a lot of ASUS stuff in the past, and it's always rock solid; They really fly under the radar.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

Jellybean really makes a difference.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

I went all around the world there, but I guess my point is that Google wants to put their name on a product. I'm sure they did a lot of research to make sure not to tarnish their image. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those, but sounds like you want Android 4.2.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

I think the tablet Gods are trying to influence your decision:

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Kind of surprised of the lack of love for Samsung here. :laugh:

Farabomb

Well, the only samsung tablet I tried, the galaxy 10 I wasn't too pleased with. No drag and drop files and it made you transcode. I'm sure there is a way around it but it wasn't my tab to play around with.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Went ahead and got the ASUS. Couldn't find much negativity on the tubes about them. I read it can't be upgraded to Jellybean. We'll see about that.

Joe

I returned the ASUS tablet. The $57.00 2 year warranty did not cover "Accidental Damage" and I won't have a tablet without that coverage. At TigerDirect you have a buy a new one instead of refurbished to get the "Accidental Damage" coverage. Screw them.

Did someone on here post at one time that Google would be dropping the price of the Nexus 7 to $149.00 some time after Thanksgiving? Right now it is still $199.00 for the 16 gb model. Frankly I would be surprised to see them lower it to $149.00.

t-pat

Quote from: Joe on November 27, 2012, 12:45:28 PMKind of surprised of the lack of love for Samsung here. :laugh:

my SGS3 is nice, but there are some features distinctly lacking over HTC. The non-ability to mount as USB HDD is glaringly obvious. There are many ways around this, but it's annoying.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

delooch

Quote from: Joe on December 03, 2012, 01:49:10 PMI returned the ASUS tablet. The $57.00 2 year warranty did not cover "Accidental Damage" and I won't have a tablet without that coverage. At TigerDirect you have a buy a new one instead of refurbished to get the "Accidental Damage" coverage. Screw them.

Did someone on here post at one time that Google would be dropping the price of the Nexus 7 to $149.00 some time after Thanksgiving? Right now it is still $199.00 for the 16 gb model. Frankly I would be surprised to see them lower it to $149.00.

they dropped the 8gb model to 149, but that lasted about 5 minutes until the stock was depleted. the 16gb is it now for $199.  If you buy it through the google play store, you get a $25 purchase credit for apps/books/whatever.  no more 8bgs.

highly dissapointed theres no SD card slot on these things

nexus 7 is the way to go, even though im all over samsung's nuts.  bought the boy a nexus 7 for xmas, im gonna get one for myself after xmas.

wife wanted the nook basic, tried to talk her into a higher end tablet/reader, but she insisted..

Joe

Quote from: delooch on December 03, 2012, 02:54:44 PM
Quote from: Joe on December 03, 2012, 01:49:10 PMI returned the ASUS tablet. The $57.00 2 year warranty did not cover "Accidental Damage" and I won't have a tablet without that coverage. At TigerDirect you have a buy a new one instead of refurbished to get the "Accidental Damage" coverage. Screw them.

they dropped the 8gb model to 149, but that lasted about 5 minutes until the stock was depleted. the 16gb is it now for $199.  If you buy it through the google play store, you get a $25 purchase credit for apps/books/whatever.  no more 8bgs.

highly dissapointed theres no SD card slot on these things

nexus 7 is the way to go, even though im all over samsung's nuts.  bought the boy a nexus 7 for xmas, im gonna get one for myself after xmas.

wife wanted the nook basic, tried to talk her into a higher end tablet/reader, but she insisted..

Ahhh...I guess that is where I remember the $149 from. I noticed the lack of an SD card. It does have a micro USB port. Would a USB thumb drive or USB external hd work through that port with an adapter?

Farabomb

I can mount any of my flash drives with my USB on the go cable, never tried it with a HDD but it should work. It's maddening trying to transfer from Mac to the GS3 so I just load up the flash drive and plug it in, it's just easier that way. The nexus 7 should be the same way.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

t-pat

Quote from: Farabomb on December 03, 2012, 03:31:11 PMI can mount any of my flash drives with my USB on the go cable, never tried it with a HDD but it should work. It's maddening trying to transfer from Mac to the GS3 so I just load up the flash drive and plug it in, it's just easier that way. The nexus 7 should be the same way.

I meant mount the phone on desktop as USB - but yeah. I just use a file manager for that.

On another note, I got a cable that passes charge and audio from the usb port to a Y cable with a 3.5mm stereo jack and a usb A jack. Hard wired a usb port into my car (charge only) by gutting an older usb car charger and soldering on a usb female cable on one end and power leads on the other, connected to an add-a-circuit in my fuse box (which also powers my radar detector) - so now I can have audio and charging on one cable without taking up my cig lighter. Everything is in the glove box, the audio interface box for my stock stereo, the newly added power usb port, etc.

The audio interface box I have had in my car for years has 3.5mm stereo in, a SD card slot, and USB in, which I used to power my old phone with. The sgs3 tries to connect to the interface box over and over again even with blocking off the 2 data pins on the plug, and would mute the audio every 5 seconds while looping trying to connect to the box. The hard wired usb port doesn't do that, sweet.

edit:
Oh yeah, I made a custom mount for my phone out of a piece of sheet metal that slips in between some dashboard pieces, stuck one of those round suction cup surfaces on to it and stuck my windshield mount on that. Puts the phone right above the radio and doesn't block access to anything in the car. I got the idea from the overpriced ProClip mounts that are made specifically for individual cars.Took about 10 minutes to make, and works great.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait