Amazon Drones

Started by Joe, December 02, 2013, 12:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Anyone see this on 60 minutes last night?

No more waiting 2 days for your package. Of course it is not a reality yet.

Amazon testing 'octocopter' package-delivery drones
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Now it would be funny if the drone I bought was dropped off by one of those...

Not sure how well that will work in major cities with already congested airspace. Never mind the updrafts and such from in-between the skyscrapers.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

Really, in the land of liability litigation?  :sceptical:  60 Minutes end-of-year stocking filler. But you can call me wrong in a year. Only in America...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

gnubler

Because waiting 2 days is too long...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Yea, see what happens when one of those glitches and it drops on someone's head. Won't matter if they got a little bump from it, instant millions in a settlement.

The one I have is basic. No GPS control but I can still confuse it pretty easily with a fast stick command. Just think how many times your GPS glitches or your phone does something silly and reboots. You really want them flying around overhead carrying god knows what?

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Did you buy yours for future OPSEC?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Not to mention the NSA hacking them and having them fire missiles at suspected terrorists. Sorry Grandma...

Farabomb

I bought it because I've been interested in quad rotors for a while. It had a camera and a cheap buy-in so I said fuck it. Once I understand these things a little better I see about building my own airframes and have them self guide and such. It's pretty scary what you can do with off the shelf hardware. Just imagine what kind of tech the NSA has. One turn of the key and it can go from "searching for the terrorists" to...

I also got it because my brother really hates the things.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on December 02, 2013, 01:17:43 PMBecause waiting 2 days is too long...
The closest Amazon to me is in Fernley, Nevada... maybe 2 hours away. But that's not good enough for Amazon; they're opening a new center in Livingston, about an hour or so from me.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I had an opportunity to move to Fernley, Nevada in 2001. I declined obviously.

DigiCorn

Between Fernley and the Oregon/Idaho border you have 2 towns (it seems like). Lovelock and Winnemucca. And you think they fuck you at the drive through...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I live in the woods and Amazon can still get me stuff in one day with 2 day shipping.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yes but someday they will be able to get it to you before you even know you want it.

Grimace

Quote from: Farabomb on December 02, 2013, 01:23:46 PMYea, see what happens when one of those glitches and it drops on someone's head. Won't matter if they got a little bump from it, instant millions in a settlement.

The one I have is basic. No GPS control but I can still confuse it pretty easily with a fast stick command. Just think how many times your GPS glitches or your phone does something silly and reboots. You really want them flying around overhead carrying god knows what?

Ooooh, how great would it be to have your pet picked up and dropped off at the vet? Just put Spot into the quaint little picnic basket I imagine they use and off to get checked for his diarrhea. No more worry about having him shit in your car. Sign me up.

Farabomb

I can see a value in that with getting the cat to the doctor. I'd much rather let a robot do that task than put my life at risk.

That reminds me, Storm needs a checkup.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job