News:

Main Menu

antivirus virus

Started by Joe, January 07, 2010, 06:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Working on a co-workers PC. It's infected with more crap than I've ever seen. There is a virus on it known as "Antivirus Live". It masquerades as an antivirus program. It disables almost every other program on the computer including your real antivirus software and it forever has popups claiming it has found such and such a virus and I should activate Antivirus Live now to fix it. If you click the link it takes me a site in Russia and wants me to buy a license for it. If you try to go to any antivirus/malware/adware/spyware vendors website it blocks you as it has changed the proxy settings in MS Explorer. I have never, EVER, seen anything take control of a PC like this in my life. You can't do anything other than activating (buying) the license to the fake Antivirus Live.

So I booted into safe mode, the pop ups stopped and I can run other programs, changed the IE proxy settings so I could download a program called Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (the free version - they also have a "full" version with more features), installed it, ran a scan and told it to delete all of the crap it found. To my amazement it appears it has wiped them all out and the computer seems to be running normally after rebooting back into normal startup. Still going to do some Spybot Search & Destroy scans as well as AVG av scans but I give the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware two thumbs up so far.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

MBAM is a wonderful tool that is *very* effective. I like AVG and Avast! for protection where you need live file system scanning. Otherwise for manual scanning I like ClamWin.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Joe

Thanks Matt. I'll run ClamWin on it too. Can't have too many tools in the PC world.

frailer

PC world is getting scarier, for sure. Some malware experts reckon that 'net mafia employment figues are about 8 times bona fide anti-virus employment. Big biz in Russia...and other hot spots, for that matter.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

ninjaPB_43

Quote from: frailer on January 07, 2010, 07:17:39 PMPC world is getting scarier, for sure. Some malware experts reckon that 'net mafia employment figues are about 8 times bona fide anti-virus employment. Big biz in Russia...and other hot spots, for that matter.

WWW3 is digital, it is real, and it has been raging for years...

..just saying.
 :ninja:

People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

Joe

And I think we're losing. :soldier:

Stiv

I have heard of the effects of that virus from others, Yuck.

I use MBAM regularly. I also use SUPERAntiSpyware. You can run both on the same machine. They are both the free versions.

After you clean it up, verify it at http://www.pandasecurity.com