PDF output headache

Started by bodger, June 09, 2012, 05:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

... has chunks of packbits in its stool.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

I still wouldn't trust it. Been bit by that little algorithm WAYYYY too many times. Not my money, I just won't take liberties like that.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

I wouldn't USE it, but if it isn't a problem I don't make it one.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigitalCrapShoveler

I search and eradicate all forms of compression. PDFs are one thing, but native files I strip down to the metal.
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 13, 2012, 05:35:50 PMI search and eradicate all forms of compression. PDFs are one thing, but native files I strip down to the metal.
apparently you have staff. I am a department of ONE now.
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on June 13, 2012, 05:43:04 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 13, 2012, 05:35:50 PMI search and eradicate all forms of compression. PDFs are one thing, but native files I strip down to the metal.
apparently you have staff. I am a department of ONE now.

We were a department of 7, now 3. I have one platemaker/proof boy and an output guy. I still make more plates, cut out more proofs and do at least 50% of the output that comes in. That's on top of inventory, scheduling, dealing with gypsies, CSRs, customers and management. We set up all the digital jobs, but that goes to a separate department across the building.

We are 4 times busier than we were 2 years ago when we had 7 full time workers. That's why until recently I have not been around as much.

I can crank some work out... believe me. :wink:
Member #285 - Civilian

t-pat

I believe you. I am not given the time to thoroughly fix things or prevent issues, only react to problems and barely keep the work going. The culture here is poisoned by a few that have no respect for the time needed to do the job right. Never time to do it right the first time, always time to do it again. And again.
vdp donkey

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: t-pat on June 13, 2012, 06:14:59 PMI believe you. I am not given the time to thoroughly fix things or prevent issues, only react to problems and barely keep the work going. The culture here is poisoned by a few that have no respect for the time needed to do the job right. Never time to do it right the first time, always time to do it again. And again.

It was like that here at one time as well. Jobs that should be done in a few hours taking days and all kinds of shit like that. When I got here, things changed. I don't fuck around... I do my job and get it back in the system. Old manager hated it. He was the type that would stockpile jobs for the next shift, or place jobs in the hold rack if they weren't due for a week.

When the Production Manager here hired me, my department was several weeks behind on jobs. After a few days I realized why. Blood Sausages. This place was riddled with them. 7 people after a few years became 5, then 4, now 3. We are busier than we have ever been and the work still gets done... with WAY less mistakes. Management had to make a decision... blow this shit through here and take the chance of re-running jobs, or do them correct the first time, but given enough time to do them.

After losing our ass on several costly mistakes, they chose to do it my way. I'm not saying we don't fuck up. You can only do so much when CSRs, customers and Sales Pukes are involved, but I can say, when we do fuck up, it is usually a customer related problem that was not checked on the proofs. Totally covered.

We do a lot of work and I couldn't do it all by myself. I hand-picked my crew from past co-workers I trust and to me... that has made it so much better.

When they say print is dying.. I don't see it. Our presses are backed up 2 weeks solid, and the shit keeps coming in. Is it our reputation? Maybe. We can turn around jobs faster than anyone with no worry of mistakes, because we take the time to make things correct.

I've been a slam-bam-thank you, ma'am output operator for companies that shared your company's philosophy. Those companies are now out of business.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 13, 2012, 06:40:29 PM
Quote from: t-pat on June 13, 2012, 06:14:59 PMI believe you. I am not given the time to thoroughly fix things or prevent issues, only react to problems and barely keep the work going. The culture here is poisoned by a few that have no respect for the time needed to do the job right. Never time to do it right the first time, always time to do it again. And again.

It was like that here at one time as well. Jobs that should be done in a few hours taking days and all kinds of shit like that. When I got here, things changed. I don't fuck around... I do my job and get it back in the system. Old manager hated it. He was the type that would stockpile jobs for the next shift, or place jobs in the hold rack if they weren't due for a week.

When the Production Manager here hired me, my department was several weeks behind on jobs. After a few days I realized why. Blood Sausages. This place was riddled with them. 7 people after a few years became 5, then 4, now 3. We are busier than we have ever been and the work still gets done... with WAY less mistakes. Management had to make a decision... blow this shit through here and take the chance of re-running jobs, or do them correct the first time, but given enough time to do them.

After losing our ass on several costly mistakes, they chose to do it my way. I'm not saying we don't fuck up. You can only do so much when CSRs, customers and Sales Pukes are involved, but I can say, when we do fuck up, it is usually a customer related problem that was not checked on the proofs. Totally covered.

We do a lot of work and I couldn't do it all by myself. I hand-picked my crew from past co-workers I trust and to me... that has made it so much better.

When they say print is dying.. I don't see it. Our presses are backed up 2 weeks solid, and the shit keeps coming in. Is it our reputation? Maybe. We can turn around jobs faster than anyone with no worry of mistakes, because we take the time to make things correct.

I've been a slam-bam-thank you, ma'am output operator for companies that shared your company's philosophy. Those companies are now out of business.

No they are not. I work for one. :cry:

We're fast and we're cheap. We hit deadlines when the customer doesn't.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on June 13, 2012, 06:58:33 PM

I'm referring to the companies I worked for. I've never worked for your company. :tongue:
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 13, 2012, 07:07:31 PM

I'm referring to the companies I worked for. I've never worked for your company. :tongue:

The only previous employer of mine that is still in business is the United States Air Force.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on June 13, 2012, 07:09:42 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on June 13, 2012, 07:07:31 PM

The only previous employer of mine that is still in business is the United States Air Force.

I have a few left. Not for long, though. :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Got an apparent flattening issue going on with Fiery hooked up to our wonderful Xerox700. Please see attached image.
The drop shadow is printing on top instead under. Other posters are fine, even the other text on poster is fine.
So what's happening, you guys got any ideas?
When the PDF (generated out of Indy) is opened in Photoshop it looks wrong, looks right when opened in Illy. But when PDF is saved out of Illy it still prints wrong.

Next we're going to try and flatten in Illy then resave as PDF.  :banghead:

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Joe

So what happens if you go back to InDesign and export it as  PDF-X1A? (which will flatten it)

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: Joe on October 04, 2012, 10:04:11 AMSo what happens if you go back to InDesign and export it as  PDF-X1A? (which will flatten it)
Great, will try.
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david