Imposition software, replacement for Preps

Started by DPSprint, January 23, 2018, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Ear on January 25, 2018, 02:01:06 PMJoe, I'm not using the folding patterns. I like to control the pagination myself. I use auto page flow, once I get one form created but I set the pattern myself.

So sort of like Preps templates?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: scottrsimons on January 25, 2018, 02:09:39 PM
Quote from: DPSprint on January 25, 2018, 01:49:07 PMwhat sort of cost is Metrix?

Not 100% sure, but I think it is along the line of Preps. But seems to be built more around the idea of integrating with other systems, including MIS. From what I can remember, a strong JDF setup.

Here is some info about Metrix. It doesn't list the price but it does show the different versions of the software depending on a users needs.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/metrix-brochure_fuji_090827.pdf

Ear

Quote from: Joe on January 25, 2018, 02:11:08 PM
Quote from: Ear on January 25, 2018, 02:01:06 PMJoe, I'm not using the folding patterns. I like to control the pagination myself. I use auto page flow, once I get one form created but I set the pattern myself.

Yep. I also import custom marks and do other old school weird shit that old pressguys like. Them thar new fangled patterns ain't got no stones in ther gizzard.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

wonderings

Quote from: DPSprint on January 25, 2018, 12:42:27 PM
Quote from: wonderings on January 25, 2018, 07:26:28 AMI use Imposition Studio Pro and love it. Support is fantastic and very fast. Issues I have had or glitches I found brought about updates they released shortly after. Been very impressed with their support.
Thanks, I may talk to you a bit about it.  :)

Do you do offset work at all? Have you seen that plate mark issue?

I do use it for plates as well as for digital. Not sure what plate mark issue you are referring to.

Joe

Quote from: Ear on January 25, 2018, 02:25:13 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 25, 2018, 02:11:08 PM

Yep. I also import custom marks and do other old school weird shit that old pressguys like. Them thar new fangled patterns ain't got no stones in ther gizzard.

Yeah either I just don't understand them new fangled patterns or they are a lot more limited than the old template system. I prefer the latter explanation. :hello:

DPSprint

Quote from: wonderings on January 25, 2018, 02:41:58 PM
Quote from: DPSprint on January 25, 2018, 12:42:27 PM
Quote from: wonderings on January 25, 2018, 07:26:28 AMI use Imposition Studio Pro and love it. Support is fantastic and very fast. Issues I have had or glitches I found brought about updates they released shortly after. Been very impressed with their support.
Thanks, I may talk to you a bit about it.  :)

Do you do offset work at all? Have you seen that plate mark issue?

I do use it for plates as well as for digital. Not sure what plate mark issue you are referring to.
when you have plate marks added to the side and create a pdf, it makes the pdf size much bigger... i.e. the 450mm SRA3 became 463.4mm wide instead.

wonderings

Have never had that happen to me. What I do though for everything is set the plate width and printing paper size to the same. Might not work for your setup so you might need to contact support and have them figure it out for you. My PDFs come out the size I set for as seen in the screen shot. Does not matter what paper size.

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 4.44.07 PM by B P, on Flickr

also what version is your demo? Latest version is 5.1.1
I seem to remember that might have been an issue a while back but was resolved with an update. I could be wrong though.

DPSprint

thanks wonderings, will look into that!

...and that works perfectly!

mattbeals

I'm the Metrix Support guy, PM me if you have Metrix questions.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on January 25, 2018, 02:16:44 PM
Quote from: DPSprint on January 25, 2018, 01:49:07 PMwhat sort of cost is Metrix?

Not 100% sure, but I think it is along the line of Preps. But seems to be built more around the idea of integrating with other systems, including MIS. From what I can remember, a strong JDF setup.

Here is some info about Metrix. It doesn't list the price but it does show the different versions of the software depending on a users needs.

When a company does not show a price for software it is generally a turn off to me. They want to get their salesforce on you when the product might and is most likely way out of budget, at least for me. Matrix looked nice from the demo videos I watched but I get enough sales people trying to push their products that I do not want to give my contact out to another unless I know it is something even close to achievable and being in the budget. Not sure why they hide the price.

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on January 29, 2018, 09:41:46 AM
Quote from: Joe on January 25, 2018, 02:16:44 PM

When a company does not show a price for software it is generally a turn off to me. They want to get their salesforce on you when the product might and is most likely way out of budget, at least for me. Matrix looked nice from the demo videos I watched but I get enough sales people trying to push their products that I do not want to give my contact out to another unless I know it is something even close to achievable and being in the budget. Not sure why they hide the price.

I assume it is in the price range of Preps and I agree about the price not being shown. If I am looking for a certain product and I find three of them but only 2 show prices then the one that doesn't have a price gets no more attention from me. That absolutely disqualifies them from the game. And it also tells me theirs is crazy expensive.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on January 25, 2018, 08:13:52 AM
Quote from: Diddler on January 25, 2018, 01:48:29 AMSorry for the Hijack DPSprint, but, Joe would you be willing to share with me a "complicated multi-sig impo" I would like to have a crack at it.  I know I can get XMF to do some complex multi-sig impos. I would just like to have a crack at it if at all possible.

Sure. Here is saddle stitch double parallel multi-sig template where the pages with the blue outline on them are sig 1 and the pages outlined in red are sig 2. Sig 1 being pages 1-16 & 49-64 and sig 2 being 17-48. They deliver out of the press as 2 different sigs.
My head when I enlarged that.  :laugh:

Oh, and working with 28" presses since my hair was all brown; it's been a simple life. Moosn't groomble.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.