How easy/difficult is it to set up a new plate size in DynaStrip?

Started by Fontaholic, August 26, 2015, 08:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

No, he's probably more torn up about it than anyone. He's the golden boy and he knows he fucked up big.

Unlike him I take the compassion approach and wold rather help then his tactic of bringing past mistakes up at any and all times, warranted or not.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

mattbeals

Quote from: Farabomb on August 26, 2015, 10:54:43 AMSounds like mine that had a accidental discharge with a blank gun next to my dog's head on christmas.

Nobody was pleased with that one, including the boss but he didn't learn anything from the experience.

There is no such thing as an accidental discharge. All discharges are purposeful or negligent. This was purposefully negligent.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Ear

Quote from: mattbeals on August 26, 2015, 04:35:58 PM
Quote from: Farabomb on August 26, 2015, 10:54:43 AMSounds like mine that had a accidental discharge with a blank gun next to my dog's head on christmas.

Nobody was pleased with that one, including the boss but he didn't learn anything from the experience.

There is no such thing as an accidental discharge. All discharges are purposeful or negligent. This was purposefully negligent.
That's what the Judge said at my first custody hearing. :rotf:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Fontaholic

Quote from: Joe on August 26, 2015, 10:20:24 AMI assume you impose with Dynastrip. If that is the case Dynastrip has nothing to do with adding a new media size in the CTP. I know in ours we have to bring in a Tech to do this and they have to drill specific holes in the drum for the vacuum to hold the new plate size plus program the size into the plate loader. They wouldn't have to do the latter if they manually load plates though.

So you said they have the same platemaker/processor...did you know how to add a new plate size for yours? If so you should be able to walk her through it. Personally I'd tell "Da Boss" to deal with it himself. :rotf:

No, I have never used DynaStrip in my life -- the printing company that's going to be making our offset plates for us now, uses it.

Our now-sold platemaker/processor system was able to add a new plate size through the ECRM CTServer program -- pretty cut and dry, really.

Thing is, the woman who runs their prepress dept. was not around when this system was installed, and she only knows as much as she's been taught (basically "push this button..."), which isn't any fault of her own.  If your shop only uses two sizes of plates and the tech has already set both of them up in your system, why tinker with what's already fixed?

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Farabomb

I agree with the if it aint broke, don't fix it. I also can't leave well enough alone so I need to know how my equipment works.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

Quote from: Farabomb on August 27, 2015, 07:42:56 AMI agree with the if it aint broke, don't fix it. I also can't leave well enough alone so I need to know how my equipment works.

Ahhhhhh -- you're one of THOSE people...  ;)

Cheers,

Farabomb

Yup, Since the boss thinks everything can be fixed with a hammer I need to fix it before he gets his hands on it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Fontaholic on August 27, 2015, 07:01:40 AMNo, I have never used DynaStrip in my life -- the printing company that's going to be making our offset plates for us now, uses it.

Our now-sold platemaker/processor system was able to add a new plate size through the ECRM CTServer program -- pretty cut and dry, really.

Thing is, the woman who runs their prepress dept. was not around when this system was installed, and she only knows as much as she's been taught (basically "push this button..."), which isn't any fault of her own.  If your shop only uses two sizes of plates and the tech has already set both of them up in your system, why tinker with what's already fixed?

Cheers,

Yes I saw in the other thread it is them that uses Dynastrip and like I said there...why would you want them to impose your work?

So it's the same machine as yours was and you know how to add a plate size to it but you don't want to tell her how?

Also if her boss and your boss agreed for her to output your plates then it isn't really fixed like it needs to be so yes someone has to tinker with it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Fontaholic

Quote from: Farabomb on August 27, 2015, 09:30:38 AMYup, Since the boss thinks everything can be fixed with a hammer I need to fix it before he gets his hands on it.

Ah yes -- good ol' percussive maintenance...

Look it up on tvtropes.org sometime!

Cheers,

Fontaholic

Quote from: Joe on August 27, 2015, 09:30:57 AM
Quote from: Fontaholic on August 27, 2015, 07:01:40 AMNo, I have never used DynaStrip in my life -- the printing company that's going to be making our offset plates for us now, uses it.

Cheers,

Yes I saw in the other thread it is them that uses Dynastrip and like I said there...why would you want them to impose your work?

So it's the same machine as yours was and you know how to add a plate size to it but you don't want to tell her how?

Also if her boss and your boss agreed for her to output your plates then it isn't really fixed like it needs to be so yes someone has to tinker with it.

The plate maker and the processor are, as far as I know, the same as what we used to use -- a violet-plate-based system using an ECRM Mako platemaker -- but the program running it is different.  The processor could very well be a different manufacturer/model than ours was (we had a Maya, I don't know which one they have...)

We used ECRM CTServer.  They use DynaStrip.

I sent the files-to-be-plated, to her in PDF formt, already imposed and the same size as the plate they're going to be put on, so there's no change of image shift, etc.

Cheers,

Joe

Quote from: Fontaholic on August 27, 2015, 09:52:12 AMWe used ECRM CTServer.  They use DynaStrip.

ECRM CTServer is the CTP software you used right? Dynastrip is just an imposition application. Not part of the CTP system. Take Dynastrip out of the equation and forget about that. You said:

QuoteI sent the files-to-be-plated, to her in PDF formt, already imposed and the same size as the plate they're going to be put on, so there's no change of image shift, etc.

so Dynastrip is not needed by them for your job. Find out what the software is they use on their CTP.

Fontaholic

Quote from: Joe on August 27, 2015, 10:07:46 AM
Quote from: Fontaholic on August 27, 2015, 09:52:12 AMWe used ECRM CTServer.  They use DynaStrip.

ECRM CTServer is the CTP software you used right? Dynastrip is just an imposition application. Not part of the CTP system. Take Dynastrip out of the equation and forget about that. You said:

QuoteI sent the files-to-be-plated, to her in PDF formt, already imposed and the same size as the plate they're going to be put on, so there's no change of image shift, etc.

so Dynastrip is not needed by them for your job. Find out what the software is they use on their CTP.

"Dynastrip" was the answer I got when I asked the CTP software question.  Perhaps she didn't understand me...  I shall have to ask again, it seems!

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah Dynastrip is the imposition application they use to send files to the CTP and they probably create files to match the size of the media on the CTP but that is NOT the software they use to create the media sizes on the CTP.

I find it extremely funny how two companies can agree to perform work for the other and neither have any idea on how to do it before they agree to it. Were either boss formerly in politics?

Fontaholic

Quote from: Joe on August 27, 2015, 10:23:13 AMYeah Dynastrip is the imposition application they use to send files to the CTP and they probably create files to match the size of the media on the CTP but that is NOT the software they use to create the media sizes on the CTP.

I find it extremely funny how two companies can agree to perform work for the other and neither have any idea on how to do it before they agree to it. Were either boss formerly in politics?

The owner of the other company (as well as another one Da Boss approached prior to this one) thought it extremely funny how Da Boss didn't already have a backup plan in motion before he sold our platemaking equipment...

Cheers,

Joe

So is your shop at a standstill right now since you can't make plates?