My fellow geeks, I need PC building advice

Started by Farabomb, December 27, 2016, 10:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

You can save some cash by buying refurbished/used CPU's. Assuming they have all been tested and work.

Intel Refurbished i3, i5, and i7 CPU.

Used i7
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Curiouos how a CPU is "refurbished". I assume they are pulled from returns or defective boxes newegg gets. Hell, if they stand behind them that might be an option. I have a little reservation about getting an unlocked chip though. Likely it's been overclocked and didn't go as high as expected. I used to check the trays at computer shows to get the correct stepping that would likely yield the best clocks. Yeah, I had time for that back in the day...

Too bad they don't have any LGA775 chips kicking around in the warehouse.  :'(
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I would assume they take and throw them in a motherboard and if it boots they call it refurbished.

Also check out the newegg outlet store website. They have some refurbished Dells with an i7 cpu. One I saw for $319 (4 GB ram) another for $402 (16 gb ram). Decent video card added might be an OK PC.

Sidenote: It appears you can still upgrade older Win 7 and 8 pc's to Win 10 for free if anyone has any interest in that.

Here's how you can still get a free Windows 10 upgrade

Farabomb

I agree about the chips. They slap it in a test rig and see if it posts. Yeah they are older cores but does it really matter? Getting a cheap Dell and taking the parts isn't a horrible idea either.

I'd love to get a valid windows 10 serial but alas, the last real key I have is a vista one.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

Quote from: Joe on January 06, 2017, 12:14:05 PMI would assume they take and throw them in a motherboard and if it boots they call it refurbished.
That's how our IT guy rolls. I had an external superdrive that started burning discs that failed verify and were bad. Mate and I did testing with other drives same mac and same drive different macs. 2 days later we decided it was confirmed bad for sure.
We explained to IT guy in detail.
IT guy writes 1 good CD with it and puts it on his shelf to give to the next drive requester.
Asshole.
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Joe

Hey if you haven't built your PC yet it is your lucky day...providing you have money to burn:

Intel reveals its most powerful PC chip yet: The 18-core, teraflop-speed Core i9

The $1,999 Core i9 Extreme Edition processor, the i9-7980XE

Farabomb

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

Oh, I wonder what salesman will insist he needs a computer with that chip in it so that his emails can be sent faster than his competitors.

I also wonder what dumb owner will fall for that bullshit.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Or receptionist that plays solitaire all day!

Farabomb

Incorrect.

She posts on FB as well for most of the day. Then blames you for the job being screwed up because she didn't put the correct information on the job bag.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Just recently, I went to Fry's and got 2 copies of W10 Pro for $99 each and put one onto a circa 2007 model Vista laptop and and circa 2008 pieced-together-from-old-parts desktop. Both machines run better than they did when they were new. The laptop is an Intel Centrino, I think, and the Desktop is an AMDx2.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I'm still afraid of Win10 but it's mainly because of one of my tinfoil hat wearing, basement dweller friends.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

delooch

been running windows 10 on the home PC for about 6 months now. if you are able to embrace the changes, it runs very smooth on my i7. finding settings in the control panel is challenging. not sure what all the fuss is about. all the MS os's suck in one way or another.  besides, i like the xbox one integration. i can stream games to the PC, which is nice because the xbox lives in the kids room.

DigiCorn

I was wondering how that worked. It was included in a recent update. Will it work with any XBox, or only XBox One? I have 2 XBox 360s, and they are both in different rooms from my bar computer, which runs W10 and has my XArcade Tankstick and 2 XBox 360 wired controllers connected to it (currently running Project 64 to play GoldenEye and Mario 64).

I have 2 monitors, and I stream a lot of YouTube music videos when I'm out there drinking.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

delooch

The streaming only works with win10 & xbox one. but its streaming the graphics quality is questionable.  But my PC monitor is only 20", so its noticable, but not that bad.  Its not perfect, but it works pretty good.

win10 is also supposed to get some new kind of "boot mode" for gaming which doesnt load all of the BS window services in the background, freeing up some cpu power and performance..

right now on the pc its all about Asseto Corsa. I have the thrustmaster TMX full rotation wheel with feedback, the pedal setup, and im using an old flight stick as an e-brake handle. It a nice setup. Asseto Corsa isnt the prettiest racer, but its damn realistic, and lets you drift, even tandem if you are good enough..

slowly getting back into PC gaming.. especially now with my upcoming 6 month work break..