Hidden folders access

Started by frailer, April 22, 2014, 04:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

We've had a creeping C Drive issue. It came to a bit of a head this arvo. Seems that available space has been decreasing slowly. Yes, I should have intervened earlier, but had some other things getting in the way, like a week off with gashed/contused shin.
OK, said C Drive, on our XMF HP server box, has a supposed capacity of 32 GB., and is part of a RAID 5 setup. I got our tech on the phone, and we got it onto the 'net, which normally it's not, and he did stuff via Team Viewer. He's in in the morning at 8, but this afternoon he managed to delete enough stuff to enable Clients to open.
Question, in case anyone has an inkling; he was trying to access hidden folders, as the bulk of the used space seems to lie in there somewhere, but he was having trouble getting access. Assume it's a MS system wall of some sort. Anyone have an idea on how to get in there? He knows pretty much what he's doing, but that bit had him stumped. He's researching it overnight.
Annoying, as we're about to need a new box'n'dice for the next major XMF upgrade (to a 64 bit setup). Shame it had to catch up with us just before the end. Tech is thinking it's MS update-bloat.
BTW, all our data files for jobs are held on a separate RAID 5 set, (E Drive), so doesn't affect this problem.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

andyfest

Not sure of your OS, but in Windows 7 you choose C drive, then go to Organize>Folder and Search Options, then choose the "View" tab. Scroll to the "Hidden Files and Folders" option and click the radio button for "Show hidden files, folders and drives" (the default is usually clicked on "Hide hidden files, etc..). Hope this helps.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

frailer

Yeah, shoulda mentioned that. Windows Server 2003. Pretty sure he's tried all the more obvious stuff, but thanks for the input. Could be an interesting morning. Mgr. hopping from one foot to the other... on complete schpilkes.   :rolleyes:  'How's it going? Fixed yet?'  + insert the usual suspect comments....
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Farabomb

A week off for a cut? Damn, I wasn't allowed more than a day when I almost put my radius through my wrist. It's quite hard to drive a stick with a cast up to your shoulder but it is possible.

OT: I had this creep up on my EVO server. I had a lot of junk on the desktop and cleared that crap off. That helped but it's still not 100% right.

Then again it never has been since it was installed.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: andyfest on April 22, 2014, 05:35:00 AMNot sure of your OS, but in Windows 7 you choose C drive, then go to Organize>Folder and Search Options, then choose the "View" tab. Scroll to the "Hidden Files and Folders" option and click the radio button for "Show hidden files, folders and drives" (the default is usually clicked on "Hide hidden files, etc..). Hope this helps.
That's pretty common on all Windows platforms.

Quote from: frailer on April 22, 2014, 04:58:12 AM...had some other things getting in the way, like a week off with gashed/contused shin.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 22, 2014, 07:35:17 AMA week off for a cut?

Yeah. WTF? I thought you Aussies were tough!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: andyfest on April 22, 2014, 05:35:00 AMNot sure of your OS, but in Windows 7 you choose C drive, then go to Organize>Folder and Search Options, then choose the "View" tab. Scroll to the "Hidden Files and Folders" option and click the radio button for "Show hidden files, folders and drives" (the default is usually clicked on "Hide hidden files, etc..). Hope this helps.

andyfest is right on the button but just a little different for Windows 2003 Server. See attached screenshots.

Once you get it to where you can see the hidden folders a good place to start cleaning is to get rid of everything in the "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Temp" folder. (Substitute your user name where you see "Administrator" in that location)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thanks all. Yep, he was in that region, but he was blocked. In DOS now and treading through the minefield, doing some copying and deleting of the larger ones..  :fingerscrossed:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on April 22, 2014, 05:39:46 PMThanks all. Yep, he was in that region, but he was blocked. In DOS now and treading through the minefield, doing some copying and deleting of the larger ones..  :fingerscrossed:

Blocked how? By what?

frailer

So... some sort of permissions prob. What he found he could do was get into DOS and move Temp files from Docs'n'Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Temp.. into a Temp2 folder (on E Drive). Only then could he delete them. We now have 13GB+ of Free Space back as we watch files being (slowly) copied over.   :huh:
But, progress...

Joe

That is odd if he is logged in as Admin. He should be able to delete files from his own account. If he is logged in with another account and then trying to delete from the "Docs'n'Settings/Admin/Local Settings/Temp"....well that is going to cause the issue you describe. Might be worth a reboot if he hasn't tried that yet if he is indeed logged in as Admin and can't delete files from the Admin account.

Joe

You might also have him to try this app that will allow you to delete locked files: http://lockhunter.com/

frailer

Reboot's been done. Trouble is, he can't actually see the files to delete them. It's odd, but he's achieved a result.  :relieved:

Joe

Quote from: frailer on April 22, 2014, 06:36:27 PMReboot's been done. Trouble is, he can't actually see the files to delete them. It's odd, but he's achieved a result.  :relieved:

So he has turned on the setting to view hidden files but he still can't see them? Something sounds very strange there. :toaster:

frailer

So says da man....   :undecided:   And looking over his shoulder, looks to be true.    :laugh:

Joe

Are you sure this server doesn't have a virus or malware of some kind?