It's official - Adobe's finally going all Cloud

Started by Possum, May 06, 2013, 11:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

Nope. We're so damned slow that I've started re-learning converting print layouts to ePub formats, iPad mostly. Print is dead, dontcha know.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

t-pat

Quote from: gnubler on May 15, 2013, 10:01:50 AM
Quote from: t-pat on May 15, 2013, 09:56:52 AM
Quote from: Possum on May 15, 2013, 08:20:20 AMSounds good to me. Or at least go to a nice, normal job with nice, normal problems.

not sure if it's like this for everyone, but the level of stress and insane demands has tripled in the last 3 weeks around here.

Sounds normal. For printing, anyway.  :drunk3:

we're all working towards a mutiny I think.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

Quote from: Slappy on May 15, 2013, 10:22:41 AMNope. We're so damned slow that I've started re-learning converting print layouts to ePub formats, iPad mostly. Print is dead, dontcha know.
damn! We're busier than flies on a manure pile. (this is my only post of the day where I haven't cursed).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Fuck. There, I said it for you and I'm not even at work!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Captain_Type

It sounds like eventually, backsaving a file for someone who is not cloud based will become impossible. Surely eventually a file will have so many features removed that opening a modern file in something 10 years old will render it less than useful.

On a more positive note, I suppose everyone would be using the same font set, which would cut down on font problems...unless a designer wants to use a non-Adobe font for some reason.

Is that even possible?  :homer:
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Grimace

I don't know why I didn't think about before, or if it was mentioned already in this thread...

But how many users will just stay with CS6 and never upgrade?

Captain_Type

And then ask you for back-saved files you made edits to on the cloud.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Grimace

Quote from: Captain_Type on May 17, 2013, 10:04:42 AMAnd then ask you for back-saved files you made edits to on the cloud.

Well, yeah, I guess. I mean, what if no one ever migrates to the cloud. Hell, many folks are still using CS3-4.
Cloud = no adopters, except that photographer doof in the video.

t-pat

Quote from: Grimace on May 17, 2013, 09:45:17 AMI don't know why I didn't think about before, or if it was mentioned already in this thread...

users that have customers that never upgrade either.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Slappy

I ventured over to the PP Forums and of course there's a pretty heavy discussion going on over this too, many of the same issues. Except, there's an Adobe Guy posting & replying and making some interesting points. Go read it if ya want, it's in the Adobe sub-section. Probably clear up some of the misconceptions but it's not all rosy.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Quote from: Grimace on May 17, 2013, 09:45:17 AMI don't know why I didn't think about before, or if it was mentioned already in this thread...

My guess is many of them will hold off as long as possible. Being a printer though you usually have to go along with whatever your customers do unless you can force them to send PDF's. But it won't be long before those people start receiving files from their customers created with CC, .psd, .ai, and .pdf files, that will start causing problems when used with the older CS6 apps. So even they they may think they are "never" going to upgrade they will eventually. Adobe has everyone by the short hairs on this one.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

I just read all 5 pages...
I'm on the fence about this and his explanations are only confusing more and more people

Leonard is giving them hell...

oh, don't use Illy to open a pdf, damn you!
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Possum

Quote from: Captain_Type on May 17, 2013, 09:02:06 AMIt sounds like eventually, backsaving a file for someone who is not cloud based will become impossible. Surely eventually a file will have so many features removed that opening a modern file in something 10 years old will render it less than useful.

On a more positive note, I suppose everyone would be using the same font set, which would cut down on font problems...unless a designer wants to use a non-Adobe font for some reason.

Is that even possible?  :homer:

Are you kidding? Almost every day I see a font a customer got from some website. When i ask where they got it, they can't tell me. "Just Google it." Yeah, and then either find the font for a charge or another one with the same name that doesn't look a thing like yours. Then the RIP chokes on it anyway.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david