old Apogee PJTF issues

Started by jimking, July 05, 2012, 08:22:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimking

Several months ago the mac loaded with preps crashed, it also was a client for Apogee. Our workflow is Apogee 2.5 (old) and purchased from a printer who was going out to business. We had the license transferred. This Apogee workflow was set up to use PJTF templates created from preps. I had to reload preps on the rebuilt mac, however in the device widow there is no option to choose PJTF when creating the template in preps. Used to able to print to PJTF in which one would choose that imposition in Apogee for a particular job. I can make prep templates all day but to not have the ability to create a PJTF file from that template. I've been able to choose existing PJTF files that were created before the crash. Any new PJTF templates I create I can not choose them.

Anyone got a clue? We do not have a contract with Agfa, so, does anyone know of a contractor who knows Apogee who can configure our flow if need be, someone in or near the DC area? All our contacts state they'd have to fly someone from across the US. Thanks all   

Joe

Not that it helps but the only "PJTF" files I know of in Preps is made when printing from Preps. You can either print a .ps, .pdf, .jdf, or a .pjtf file. A .pjtf file is actually a JDF file but an earlier version than a .jdf file. The only type of template file I know of is a normal Preps .tpl file.

I don't know Apogee but in relation using Prinergy/Preps you create a job in Preps, select a template, and print either a .pjtf or .jdf that Prinergy uses to create the imposition but as far as I know there is no such thing as a .pjtf template.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jimking

Quote from: Joe on July 05, 2012, 08:30:39 AMNot that it helps but the only "PJTF" files I know of in Preps is made when printing from Preps. You can either print a .ps, .pdf, .jdf, or a .pjtf file. A .pjtf file is actually a JDF file but an earlier version than a .jdf file. The only type of template file I know of is a normal Preps .tpl file.

I don't know Apogee but in relation using Prinergy/Preps you create a job in Preps, select a template, and print either a .pjtf or .jdf that Prinergy uses to create the imposition but as far as I know there is no such thing as a .pjtf template.
You are correct Joe, I would print from preps to create the pjtf file in which I no longer have that option. I suppose the pjtf file is a link to the template. All I know was in the older days we'd just choose the preps template but this flow, apparently, the previous owner used the pjtf route and it was configured to stay that way.

Joe

Quote from: jimking on July 05, 2012, 08:22:58 AMI've been able to choose existing PJTF files that were created before the crash. Any new PJTF templates I create I can not choose them.

So you can still create the .pjtf from Preps but not select it in Apogee?

jimking

No, I can not create it in preps which is where you want to create it. You then choose it in Apogee. The .pftf option is no longer available in preps. In Preps print dialog box--Device- the only options are Indigo, Generic Postscript printer, 620, 305 and QM. No pjtf option.

Joe

It's not under "Device". It's under "Send To".

DigiCorn

You can only do pdf color mapping if you have this line in your .cfg file: -USE_PPT_PDFLIB:NO which is the default setting. However, if you want to impose native (non-fpo) Acrobat 9 and Acrobat X files, you need to modify the line to read: -USE_PPT_PDFLIB:YES, but now you lose the ability to remap colors within Preps.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on July 05, 2012, 11:36:17 AMYou can only do pdf color mapping if you have this line in your .cfg file: -USE_PPT_PDFLIB:NO which is the default setting. However, if you want to impose native (non-fpo) Acrobat 9 and Acrobat X files, you need to modify the line to read: -USE_PPT_PDFLIB:YES, but now you lose the ability to remap colors within Preps.
I can do color mapping with natives. I'm special.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

DigiCorn

I use marks with rsi_coloralias that auto assign in Rampage, but since the move to preps 6 get kind of screwed up on the plate identifier mark (the words "rsi_coloralias" overprints the words for the spot color). Preps says because it's a Rampage mark, it's a Rampage problem. Rampage says it's a Preps 6 problem, but promises to help me work through it if I give them $15k and upgrade.

If you use the SSI color in Preps, you can remap in Preps or Rampage, but I agree with t-pat: just fix the G--D---- file before Preps so it's not an issue.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

jimking

Quote from: Joe on July 05, 2012, 10:03:46 AMIt's not under "Device". It's under "Send To".

Thanks for that snapshot joe. Ok with the "send to--print" but the my choice of Device and the path is incorrect. My path (Connection) is to the "Distiller"
I have no idea what those should be.

Joe

What was it before? A virtual printer to Apogee I would guess. You will need to recreate the device within Preps or...do you still have access to the old Mac's hard drive contents where you could copy the files from the original Preps installation? Or a backup of the Mac?

jimking

I have no idea what it was before. The old mac is gone, shot. NT guys transferred everything over to the current machine, all was well except preps. I had to reinstall it. I'm going to see if there's files that I over looked.

Joe

What you need to have are the "Printers" and "Profiles" folder from the old Preps install.

jimking

Farabomb

In both shops where we had preps we never used the device option. Just made .pjtf/.jdf files. What is the device path used for?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job