Transparent backgrounds

Started by frailer, May 05, 2013, 06:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

In-house dezinger supplies AI file which I need as a Foil stamp (PDF), to go over base 4 col cover. For proofing purposes I need that image to have a transparent background. Currently it's KO white background.
My normal route is to place the AI then Export a PDF with it in position. That's fine as a file to send out to Foilers; background's neither here nor there, but for Proofing...
I don't do a lot of this stuff, changing backgrounds I mean). Is there a way of doing this in the Illy file. Or in PitStop Inspector? I've tried both. Must be tripping on something basic.
AI file for look-in below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m97phev0pvt3wlb/Adelaide%20Program%20Stamp.ai
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Chilbear

I set dielines and emboss dies as a pantone number - set to overprint and then add the transparent factor. I would add this element into a new separate layer and then turn the layer off when going into production.

frailer

yep, pretty much what I do/have done. But to proof the dieline superimposed over the 4 colour, I need its original 'paper' background to be transparent/None. Just couldn't seem to achieve that in Illy/Pitstop.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

DCurry

Is there really a background in the Illy file? If not, you probably just need to re-import the graphic and make sure you click "Import Options". One that window pops up, click "Transparent Background".

This won't work unless the background in Illy is truly empty.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

frailer

Quote from: DCurry on May 06, 2013, 05:24:28 AMIs there really a background in the Illy file? If not, you probably just need to re-import the graphic and make sure you click "Import Options". One that window pops up, click "Transparent Background".

This won't work unless the background in Illy is truly empty.

On busy Mondays, one sometimes misses the obvious options. I'll test. Thanks Dan.

Tracy

if it's vector make sure they aren't using white somewhere.

frailer

Quote from: Tracy on May 06, 2013, 09:35:19 AMif it's vector make sure they aren't using white somewhere.
Yep, she had (inside it), but it wouldn't have mattered, as it was for soft proof positional-only. Thing is, with her AI file as it was, it KO'd a third of her page.  :rolleyes:

Tracy

I had that happen with really good files and thought there was something wrong with my preview :laugh:
nope there was white, they were prolly "helping"