Live Transparency

Started by gtrev, September 12, 2007, 06:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrev

I'm working with a Heidelberg workflow - prinect meta & signa - I'm looking for clarification on what Live Transparency means - We create most of our pdf's from native files sending to distiller with a preset for our workflow + we get a lot of supplied pdf's which are preflighted thru Pitstop. - I realise there's probably a few questions here - Does Live Transparency refer to a direct export as a pdf out of - say Indesign?

I understand that my workflow has to flatten the transparency in a pdf when it converts it to a 1bit tiff for plating - I know most vendors are incorporating the new Adobe pdf rip (engine?) into upgrades - does this mean that transparency will no longer be flattened as such?

Thanks all!
What proof?

frailer

Until a more sophisticated answer hits, here's my current understanding. PDF Print Engine will "render", rather than "flatten", but honour the intended/wanted transparency effects. There being no PostScript along the route, nor any other flattening stages along the way, there will be fewer chances for anything to flatten incorrectly. i.e. everything's in sync to render flattening as intended, right at the last minute.  I suppose it's fairly safe currently if you're fully aware of how your flattener presets are set in your flow.
It'll be kinda nice when it's through it's early stages and more Print Engine RIPs are around. "Live" transparency, I've always assumed, means the file is carrying the transparency, and you haven't fiddled with it en route. Still trying to wrap my mind around it myself. I'm in a Fuji environment, not that that matters too much.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

jezza

Here's what adobe have to say about it

http://www.adobe.com/studio/print/

Scroll down until you see these links to a few pdfs that are well worth reading

Transparency in Adobe Applications: A Print Production Guide

Designer's Guide to Transparency for Print Output

Getting Started with Transparency

Download them all - some are pretty big. Then read them, then understand them. It's the best info you'll ever find on the subject
one sick prepress mofo

Vee

Quote from: gtrev on September 12, 2007, 06:16:09 AMI'm working with a Heidelberg workflow - prinect meta & signa - I'm looking for clarification on what Live Transparency means - We create most of our pdf's from native files sending to distiller with a preset for our workflow + we get a lot of supplied pdf's which are preflighted thru Pitstop. - I realise there's probably a few questions here - Does Live Transparency refer to a direct export as a pdf out of - say Indesign?

I understand that my workflow has to flatten the transparency in a pdf when it converts it to a 1bit tiff for plating - I know most vendors are incorporating the new Adobe pdf rip (engine?) into upgrades - does this mean that transparency will no longer be flattened as such?

Thanks all!

If you pass your files to Distiller - they are flattened and not live or layered trans.
As you stated - Export will keep all trans live. IF you Export to PDF 1.4 or higher. 1.5 will create a PDF with layers.
Quark will flatten even if you Export. It still uses a .ps channel to generate the PDF.

So, all in all - if you create .ps at all - you have flattened.
IMO - You don't need to flatten or print to .ps if you can trap live trans. ie: Prinect Trap Editor.
However, if you are still using Supertrap it cannot trap live trans. So you'd need to keep printing .ps & distilling.

Hope this helps... and/or makes sense. Been here for 12+ hours as of now - time for me to go!
Vee
It's not the job that's so bad.. it's your attitude.

GO RED SOX!!

gtrev

Thanks Vee, that makes sense - unfortunately the powers that be are yet to fork out the bills for Prinect Trap Editor - Im having to do most of my maual trapping either in the native app. or Pitstop - I've got Colour Editor which is a must have in my opinion.

Thanks all!
What proof?

beermonster

so - the adobe print engine - where does quack figure in that? it uses .ps out - in every way possible except a screen shot :D - will the adobe rip accept "postsript? what happens to quack? does it die? (prays to prepress gods that yes it does) I mean - ya cant pdf quack files to any safe degree - so - quack must die  - correct?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Joe

Quote from: beermonster on September 13, 2007, 05:52:54 AMso - the adobe print engine - where does quack figure in that? it uses .ps out - in every way possible except a screen shot :D - will the adobe rip accept "postsript? what happens to quack? does it die? (prays to prepress gods that yes it does) I mean - ya cant pdf quack files to any safe degree - so - quack must die  - correct?

A representative of Quark at Graph Expo, when asked by my boss about the whole Quark/transparency/pdf dilemma we are seeing, stated they are aware of the problem and are working on it. Sleep easier now everyone. :-\
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

jezza

They were 'aware' of it 'some time ago'. Launch Indy and sleep peacefully :)
one sick prepress mofo

jezza

To be fair, here's what Quark have to say regarding best practice and QX 7

http://www.quark.com/products/xpress/resourcecenter/transparency.html

It's worth a read, just don't shoot the messenger, OK?
one sick prepress mofo

DCurry

That's actually a well-written document regarding transparency. Surprising, considering the source!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

prepressDog

prepressDog

Jezza...thanks again. Good read.
Just found out if you export as postscript and distill...
It will automatically flatten the trans. 'cause postscript will not keep live trans. It must flatten.
Very helpful...used it today.

jezza

Good to know you found some positive benefit  8)
one sick prepress mofo