PDF Read Error

Started by tapdn, September 23, 2009, 10:26:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 11, 2011, 04:01:21 PMI've got my whole workflow and all my shortcuts and preferences to go using fpo/opi. It wasn't a problem until Preps 6. Then I either have to save all my pdfs down to 8 or lower, or use up all my server space NOT using fpo. Plus, the entire Rampage workflow centers around making fpos.

How are you saving on server space using FPO's? It has to link back to the high res stuff which also takes up space. FPO's + OPI links probably = full PDF's...OPI should be dead in this day and age of cheap storage. Maybe it's time to change the way you work. Adapt, innovate and be flexible...or die.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Literally just got my response from Kodak tech support (that only took 5 days). My guy tells me that release 6.2 (out last week) addresses these very issues. Downloading now...
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 15, 2011, 05:06:23 PMLiterally just got my response from Kodak tech support (that only took 5 days). My guy tells me that release 6.2 (out last week) addresses these very issues. Downloading now...

hmmmrzzz wonder what else they fixed, and what that broke that wasn't broke. Not unhappy with the product at all but it is definitely young enough to have that new software smell. You know, that smell of "well, it works well enough for a release, let's let the users find the rest of the bugs"
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Farabomb

Works for Microsoft and Apple.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Just installed 6.2. Here's a word to the wise - make sure you backup ALL of 6.1 beforehand.

Use the Migration utility to get your devices and templates to populate back.

THEN, copy the "sheets.xml" file from your backup /Printers directory into your new install folder. The Migration Utility doesn't migrate your stock.  :hangme:
It's not the end of the world if you have to recreate stock, but I would have had about 30 unusual sheet sizes to redo had I not made a backup.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 16, 2011, 12:26:37 PMJust installed 6.2. Here's a word to the wise - make sure you backup ALL of 6.1 beforehand.

THEN, copy the "sheets.xml" file from your backup /Printers directory into your new install folder. The Migration Utility doesn't migrate your stock.  :hangme:
It's not the end of the world if you have to recreate stock, but I would have had about 30 unusual sheet sizes to redo had I not made a backup.

thanks - good to know.

Only 30 unusual stock sizes?
We tend to get stock supplied by envelope houses that are sheeting it off themselves or stuff from Case Paper which is always bastard sizes. I could live without the whole "Stock" section, I'd find it easier to just type the size every time rather than scrolling through this stupid list:

vdp donkey

t-pat

FYI you can edit sheets.xml in a text editor to clean up stupid naming that tends to migrate from old preps templates. I wish you could group or organize it though.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigiCorn on November 16, 2011, 12:26:37 PMJust installed 6.2. Here's a word to the wise - make sure you backup ALL of 6.1 beforehand.

Nice. Found this this a.m. on GUA:
QuoteMy fellow GUA members... we have pulled the Preps 6.2 Installer!

It was found that the Preps 6.2 Installer was replacing the ..\Printers folder which effects the Media and Stock resources.

This is not a concern if you stored your Marks, Printers and Templates on a network volume, only if stored locally.

If you have already downloaded the Preps 6.2 Installer, please be advised to make a back-up of all your Media and Stock resources. These can be found in the ..\Printers folder.

Again, this is only an issue for Preps users who maintain the Marks, Printers and Templates on the same local computer as the Preps application.

If you are using a network volume to store the Marks, Printers, and Template this will not affect your existing resources. This means that Prinergy Connect and Evo users should be fine.

We have pulled the current Preps 6.2 release and will provide a new Preps 6.2 Installer once this has been addressed!

Thank you for your time!
http://graphics.kodak.com

and then this:

QuoteWarning: On Nov. 16, 2011 the Preps 6.2 Installers were temporarily removed due to a problem discovered with settings being retained during upgrade from previous versions of Preps for configurations where Preps' configuration files are stored locally.

The Preps development team is working on a new update utility to address this problem. The new update utility is expected to be available the week of Nov. 21, 2011.

I go mine working, but I think he posted this after we exchanged umpteen emails about problems I was having...
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

well, I didn't download/install it but we do have our marks and printers on a network volume. I believe this would be standard-ish for a Prinergy workflow. So all you folks that didn't buy Prinergy and jumped on this update got accidentally screwed by Kodak. :lmao:

But if you'd bought Prinergy you'd automatically know not to install updates until they are seasoned well and have fermented for a while...
vdp donkey

frailer

QuoteWarning: On Nov. 16, 2011 the Preps 6.2 Installers were temporarily removed due to a problem discovered with settings NOT being retained during upgrade from previous versions of Preps for configurations where Preps' configuration files are stored locally.

Fixed.   :cheesy:       just couldn't bring 'emselves to say it.   :rolleyes:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.