Shingle PDF to PDF

Started by Stiv, October 06, 2011, 11:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiv

Have a 11 x 8.5 - 28 page PDF that I'm imposing on 12 x 18.

I need to shingle it by .0625 and Preps 5 is moving the sheet on the 11" (side to side) and not the 8.5" way that it should be moving it.

I'm not rotating the pages and the template is correct, so what's going on?

I don't normally shingle PDF to PDF jobs. Anyone using PDF to PDF and shingling?

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Joe

So your current impo looks like image #1?

Can you impose it like image number 2?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Stiv

Yes to t-pat.

Yes to Joe #1 except it is 11 X 8.5 on 12 x 18. I'll try imposing on 18 x12 like #2 later and let you know what happened.

t-pat

and your binding style is saddle stitched? Sorry to ask the obvious.
vdp donkey

Joe

Quote from: Stiv on October 06, 2011, 12:03:04 PMYes to t-pat.

Yes to Joe #1 except it is 11 X 8.5 on 12 x 18. I'll try imposing on 18 x12 like #2 later and let you know what happened.

Yes, #1 is 11" W x 8.5" H on a 12" W x 18" H plate. #2 is the opposite: 8.5" W x 11" H on a 18" W x 12" H plate.

DigiCorn

So Stiv, it's like a calendar? Had that problem before... the shingle is set in Preps as a default to go towards the binding edge.

I moved on to Preps 6, but I dusted off 5 to get you this screen shot. If you highlight an individual page (I placed independent pages for this impo), and command-I it, you can change the shingle direction. See screen shot for clarification.

If I misunderstood the issue, sorry!
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Stiv

Just to be clear, I am running 11 x 8.5 Landscape on a 12 x 18 Portrait sheet, (my gripper is the 12" side) 2-up head-to-head.

My impo's have the heads running together at the center and I want the pages to shingle in towards the center.

The shingling, as applied in t-pat's pic, is moving the pages along the 11" length and not in-and-out.

I'll try an 18 x 12 template and see if that works.

Stiv

Quote from: DigiCorn on October 06, 2011, 12:33:35 PMSo Stiv, it's like a calendar? Had that problem before... the shingle is set in Preps as a default to go towards the binding edge.

I moved on to Preps 6, but I dusted off 5 to get you this screen shot. If you highlight an individual page (I placed independent pages for this impo), and command-I it, you can change the shingle direction. See screen shot for clarification.

If I misunderstood the issue, sorry!

Yes, the template is like the top row except for 12 x 18 and not 18 x 12.

I will try an 18 x 12 template.

DigiCorn

Impose as you normally would, but with independent pages (watch out for overlapping bleed) and then set each page with shingle movement in the proper direction, as I described... that should work.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: Stiv on October 06, 2011, 12:34:30 PMJust to be clear, I am running 11 x 8.5 Landscape on a 12 x 18 Portrait sheet, (my gripper is the 12" side) 2-up head-to-head.

My impo's have the heads running together at the center and I want the pages to shingle in towards the center.

If you are doing it as my first attachment shows it seems like it should be working if you look at the creep settings that digcorn showed. By default it is supposed to creep to the binding edge which is in the 8.5" direction. Am interested in what you find by changing the orientation Stiv.

Are your heads facing right like in my example?

t-pat

when we do calendars (and it is way too often) we impose as a portrait book and merely rotate the pages in the run list 90 degrees. Everything works fine this way.
vdp donkey

frailer

A faint cry from the bleachers here (out on Highway 61)...  what happens if you check the 'Scale' button? Maybe the whole thing will just work. I've resolved to use the equivalent feature in XMF from here on in.
And, tpat, that reminds me, am gonna test that page rotation thingy in XMF, too. Last time I looked it wouldn't let you head-to-foot pages in a sheetwise impo. But they may have fixed it.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Stiv

Getting back to this mess. Job was an 11x8.5 calendar.

The bind edge was at the top and I needed the pages to shingle in to the bind, they were set up as H-H. Preps was moving the pages L-R and not in to the bind edge (head).

I have more calendars coming in, (joy), and I guess I am going to have to fool Preps into shingling it by rotating the pages to 8.5x11. The real pain is setting up all the independent pages and moving the heads around while holding the correct bleeds, at the same time imposing rotated pages.

t-pat

Just rotate the pages in the run list.. No, don't make independent pages!!! there's no need. Just set it up as a 8.5w x 11h saddle stitch standard imposition with standard bleeds and everything like a normal book, and rotate the pages 90 degrees in the run list, you'll break your brain trying to figure it all out and the shingling will be broken.
vdp donkey