Cover spine artwork

Started by TommyGun, August 07, 2013, 03:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyGun

I don't find a way to get this simple task done: I need a layout for the cover of a perfect-bound book and I need to use a custom artwork with the books title on the spine.
Normally I just setup a 2-page with 'rear cover' and 'front cover' and use enough bleed margin to fill up the spine's width when the artwork allows it.

So how do I setup my job in this case? Is there a special setting or do I need to make a 3-page and then resize the middle to the spine width? Make a 2-page for covers + 1 page for spine?
This need to be printed as work-and-turn btw, so I'd need front and back for this.  :angry:

Thanks!

born2print

Quote from: TommyGun on August 07, 2013, 03:31:53 PMI don't find a way to get this simple task done: I need a layout for the cover of a perfect-bound book and I need to use a custom artwork with the books title on the spine.
Normally I just setup a 2-page with 'rear cover' and 'front cover' and use enough bleed margin to fill up the spine's width when the artwork allows it.

So how do I setup my job in this case? Is there a special setting or do I need to make a 3-page and then resize the middle to the spine width? Make a 2-page for covers + 1 page for spine?
This need to be printed as work-and-turn btw, so I'd need front and back for this.  :angry:

Thanks!
I would just setup a 2-page, I would not rip 6 singles at 2 sizes and piece together in Preps.
HTH
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

Skryber

Quote from: born2print on August 07, 2013, 03:37:06 PM
Quote from: TommyGun on August 07, 2013, 03:31:53 PMI don't find a way to get this simple task done: I need a layout for the cover of a perfect-bound book and I need to use a custom artwork with the books title on the spine.

Thanks!
I would just setup a 2-page, I would not rip 6 singles at 2 sizes and piece together in Preps.
HTH

Agreed. 2 pages and use guides for your spine.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

The easy way is by born2prints method.

I have done it before where I set the size of the bleed of the left side of the front cover to the spine width and set the back cover right hand side bleed to 0.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Thanks!
Whenever I do this, I do it all as a big spread in Indy, and then impose as such. Page 1 is the front, page 2 is the back. But a dezinger once told me, "type never goes to hell," so I make the spine read 180 degrees of the way you have it.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

I never cared which way the type went, unless specified.
Just for giggles I just looked at 5 different books from all different sources, and all 5 of them have the spine type going to hell (like Tommygun's diagram)
:shrug:  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: One of the 5 books is a Pocket Pal®
 :lmao:

DigiCorn

Quote from: born2print on August 07, 2013, 04:01:28 PMI never cared which way the type went, unless specified.
Just for giggles I just looked at 5 different books from all different sources, and all 5 of them have the spine type going to hell (like Tommygun's diagram)
:shrug:  :laugh:

most stuff does.

engineers always say (when i was a CAD), "turn it to the right."
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Ya know the difference between ignorance and indifference?
>
>
>
>
>
I don't know and I don't care!

frailer

In my experience, each BBound book cover is a one-off. Often I'll have to make it up from a designer's 2 pages. In which case case it's just 'pre-impose' them in InDes, making the spine the width that thems upstairs tell me it should be. Creators rarely know the required spine width in advance in my part of the world.. Have had to add/subtract 1mm more times than I can count, on 'pre-packaged' one.. Which I'll sometimes do in PitStop.
As long as the prepress you're sending it to have all the info. and files required, they'll knock into shape without whingeing too much, I reckon. Talk to them if you can.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Skryber

75% of jobs where I had to fix spines they have changed the stock. Got to the point the proof went out how the custy set it up and I would put huge notes stapled to job ticket and bag saying not to plate and spine not set. I wouldn't mess with it until I got the "ok to print."
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

gnubler

Quote from: Skryber on August 07, 2013, 10:00:58 PMI would put huge notes stapled to job ticket

What for?  :laugh:  They seem to get "lost" and nobody has ever seen them.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DCurry

All we print are books, and 99.99% of the ones I've done over the past year that I've worked here have the type on the spine "going to hell."

As for setting up the artwork, another method is to use an independent page in Preps to sit in the gutter between Cover1 and Cover4 - just make sure you turn off left and right bleeds on the independent page, turn off left bleed for C1 and right bleed for C4.

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

I have to do these all the time for financial work. I use a single page with the spine calculated into it. They always change the damn size anyway so I just find it easier to do that way.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

TommyGun

Ok Thanks for the hints.

p.s: my type always goes to heaven  :angel:

Skryber

My type goes to hell also. That way when it's laying flat, cover up, the type is the correct way. :huh: :evil: