Prepress praise

Started by motormount, September 15, 2016, 02:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

motormount

-contrary to prepress rage thread :-P -

It may not come true, but still i want to share it with someone...

After eight years in the printshop, a customer offered to provide us with a cmyk color guide and new pantone
color books.

The pantone color guide we currentlly use is more yellowish than the shell logo ( in the little bits of paper not covered by the printers colored fingertips...)

The cmyk guide is a 30 page advertising leaflet of the complete one we could have bought 20 years ago, and in much better shape than the pantone books since we never use it....

Even if the customer won't bring the color books he promised, i'm so happy with all the care he shows to his humble print providers...
:cry:

Joe

Probably looking for a discount on his next print job.  :rotf:

Always believe the worst. It can only get better from there when you do.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

StudioMonkey

this is going to be a short thread . . .
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

What, and ruin the fun of running around the shop looking for a book that matches closer on a customer ok?

What's sad is a customer is offering to upgrade your tools, not the owners. I don't understand how all the production machines at all the shops I've been in and old and held together with duct tape but when we walk into the sales office everything is brandy new and current.

I don't know the customer but they could be doing it out of generosity and being nice; it can also be out of pity as they see the owners can't provide you with the proper tools. It still shows they appreciate your work and respect you. What they think about your bosses shouldn't matter.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

We did get an email last week about a new job we printed.

QuoteThe _______ looks absolutely wonderful, and we are getting so many compliments on the quality of the printing. Thank you!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

We actually get complimented a lot on the quality of our work. Or pressman is moonlighting at a few other shops (other shops around here are swamped) and he's amazed at what other places consider good enough. Don't worry, we'll get color on the second side. Don't worry about that hickey on the cover, half of them will be good.

This explains the quality of a lot of the print stuff I get.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Quote from: Farabomb on September 15, 2016, 08:08:16 AMWhat, and ruin the fun of running around the shop looking for a book that matches closer on a customer ok?

What's sad is a customer is offering to upgrade your tools, not the owners. I don't understand how all the production machines at all the shops I've been in and old and held together with duct tape but when we walk into the sales office everything is brandy new and current.

I don't know the customer but they could be doing it out of generosity and being nice; it can also be out of pity as they see the owners can't provide you with the proper tools. It still shows they appreciate your work and respect you. What they think about your bosses shouldn't matter.
The sales offices have the new stuff in case a custy visits in the sales offices. Gotta make a good impression, never mind  how hard or impossible it might be to actually get it done, and done right.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

That is a valid point but I'd rather see some well used computers and desks. If everything is all shiny and new, I think they are hiding something.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Or they're spending a lot of money they don't have and will go out of business soon. Too much shiny and new makes me think there are too many beginners there to know what they're doing.

Farabomb

Be fair, there are tons of people out there that have "been doing this for XX years" and have no idea what they are doing.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on September 15, 2016, 01:27:47 PMBe fair, there are tons of people out there that have "been doing this for XX years" and have no idea what they are doing.
I HAVE been doing this job for XX years, and there's shit weekly I learn that I never heard of before.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I'm 15+ years in and I'm actually behind because of all the years of running prepress solo. Having people that know what you're up against around to bounce ideas off of is a great thing. That's why places like this are so important to those running solo. You even can get good ideas from salesmen; it's happened but it's extremely rare.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

I'm always learning new stuff too, especially at my new job where computers and printing equipment are actually up to date!

The Cloud version of Adobe Creative Suite is a revelation, for starters...

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Tracy

Customer bought us lunch from Panera today!
salad, samiches, chips, drinks, cookies-yum
I hope I can steal a cookie to take home :dev2:

Possum

I once knew a paper salesman who made his own Christmas cookies for his customers. That was always something to look forward to.