Need help - clogged nozzles on an Epson 9890

Started by AaronH, March 15, 2017, 10:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AaronH

Hey Everyone,

Our proofing has gotten a little interesting at work. We have an Epson 9900 for our high res color proofs, then we had an older 9600 we had to run off flats for bindery, and make low end proofs or mockups for our customers. Apparently the 9600 was purchased used to replace a 9890 that had stopped working about 6 months before I started at this shop, so about 2 years ago. Well our 9600 is now dead (printing on hp paper with incorrect settings and scratched our printhead up like no ones business) and we can't get it to print. We got a free 10600 from a buddy of the owner but it arrived broken and I'm having to repair parts for an old machine that we have no ink for. Since the 9890 and our 9900 use the same exact ink, my cohort thought, "Hey, why don't we pull the 9890 out of storage and see if we (he means me) can get it running again."

Anyway, I've run 5 normal cleanings, 2 power cleanings and 1 SSCleaning from the maintenance menu and I can't get a single dot to print. The maintenance tank is even bone dry. I'm guessing the ink tubes are dried up? Anyone have any ideas I can try to get this working again? I'd really appreciate it. I don't want our proofer/plate maker guy to screw up another machine (our 9900) any more than he most likely has.

Thanks!
Aaron

Edit: I forgot to mention it has an Error Code: 4000 maintenance request when you first boot it up. I looked it up on google and I guess it means clogged nozzles...
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris

Tracy

I have a 9900 too, use to have a 9600 that had gotten clogged
I did not work on it but I saw the guy that did, run some hot water thru the lines
Not sure if it was just water tho.

AaronH

Farabomb

Try some windex and a paper towel. Free up the head so you can move it. Soak the paper towel in the windex, not so much as it's running down the platen but so it's damp. Park the head over it overnight and let it work it's magic. If you're lucky it will clean up the head.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

AaronH

Possum

If it's been in storage for a while and it uses pigment ink, it's probably toast. That stuff is notorious for killing heads. If it uses dye ink, you've got a chance.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

AaronH

Oh no, It uses pigment ink! I'm really hoping Farabomb's idea works. If not I may have to flush the ink tubes sparked by Tracy's comment.

Farabomb

It's worth a shot as it's probably things you have around the office. As someone that has personally taken apart a 9800 changing out the head doesn't seem like a horrible thing. I had the whole thing apart but I didn't go as far as to disconnect the head.

I do have the service manual for the 9800 if you do go that route.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

AaronH

Thanks Farabomb. I'll let you know if I need to grab a copy of your service manual. Wish me luck!

Tracy

Good luck! Report back we may need your help in the future :laugh:

Ear

We got a new 9900 a few years ago and I let the old 10,600 sit for a few months. It never ran again, and I did try. And I have torn plotters and platesetters down and rebuilt them, it just wasn't worth the time and parts it was going to require.

Sent it go to recycle and got on with life.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Possum

We had a 4800 that sat a while and the head got clogged (pigment ink). We tried their cleaning solution and finally called in a tech. He said it would cost more to fix than to get a new one. Guess where that one went.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Farabomb

If it's like most shops, it's now your manager.

Useless and costs too much... management all the way.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

AaronH

Update: I did the Windex-Paper Towel trick and had it sit overnight. There was some ink on the towel when I checked on it a few minutes ago. I ran a nozzle check, then a normal cleaning and another nozzle check. Still no dots are printing.

I'm going to have it sit overnight again with another Windex soaked paper towel. I saw a video a few sites were linking to going over this same process after Farabomb suggested it. If it doesn't work by Monday, I think it's toast or needs a new print head/lines.

frailer

FWIW, our nice Vietnamese Epson service guy told us never to turn it off and leave it off. They run scheduled checks/cleans.
When you're asleep it's happening.
Possum's on the money, I'd say.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.