How easy/difficult is it to set up a new plate size in DynaStrip?

Started by Fontaholic, August 26, 2015, 08:20:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fontaholic

Hey everyone,

As those who've been following my saga might know, Da Boss sold off our platemaking system without having a backup fully in place.  Now he's found a print shop about an hour's drive from us that has the same platemaker/processor that we did, so he figured everything was hunky-dory.

Well, naturally, it ain't.

We run two size plates here -- a 10" x 15.25" one for our Hamada 2-15, and a 13" x 19.1875" one for our Hamada RS-234.

This other shop only runs one small plate -- 13.625" x 19.375" -- for their Ryobi press, and their prepress person doesn't know how to add a new plate setup into the system.  (Their setup had already been programmed by the time she came onboard, and it sounds like she only knows how to press buttons, as she talked about needing to have a tech come in to program the new plate size into the software.)

My question is -- is it really that difficult to create a new plate setup in DynaStrip, or can anyone do it once they've been given sufficient instructions?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Farabomb

Export an imposed PDF to sheet size and she can just drop onto her larger plate size. Just make sure the setback is correct.

To her credit I might not be able to create a new media size (not that it matters here, I wouldn't have a mat to run a different size) but I would sure as hell try before I call in a tech.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

Quote from: Farabomb on August 26, 2015, 08:36:37 AMExport an imposed PDF to sheet size and she can just drop onto her larger plate size. Just make sure the setback is correct.

To her credit I might not be able to create a new media size (not that it matters here, I wouldn't have a mat to run a different size) but I would sure as hell try before I call in a tech.

The PDFs I sent her for the 2-15 press are the exact size of the plate -- 10" wide by 15.25" tall.

She did ask if it would be possible for her to run the 2-15 plates on the larger 2-34; when I asked the pressman if this would work, he started bitching about having to cut down plates himself and what an idiot this woman obviously is for not knowing how to program a new plate setup into the software, blah-blah-blah...

Cheers,

Farabomb

Have your genius pressman go over and reprogram the new plate size if he's so damn smart.

We cut down plates for 8 months, it's not hard at all. Providing he doesn't cut the gripper side.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

Quote from: Farabomb on August 26, 2015, 08:49:14 AMHave your genius pressman go over and reprogram the new plate size if he's so damn smart.

We cut down plates for 8 months, it's not hard at all. Providing he doesn't cut the gripper side.

Yeah -- he was doing that for a while a few months back when we were ganging up jobs so we could use up Komori-sized plates that we no longer had any use for (having sold off our Komori some time ago).

I think he just likes to piss and moan about everything...

Cheers,

Farabomb

Well, he is a pressman...

I'd like to have mine back even with all his pissing and moaning. 

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I assume you impose with Dynastrip. If that is the case Dynastrip has nothing to do with adding a new media size in the CTP. I know in ours we have to bring in a Tech to do this and they have to drill specific holes in the drum for the vacuum to hold the new plate size plus program the size into the plate loader. They wouldn't have to do the latter if they manually load plates though.

So you said they have the same platemaker/processor...did you know how to add a new plate size for yours? If so you should be able to walk her through it. Personally I'd tell "Da Boss" to deal with it himself. :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Since they know nothing about prepress the bosses think one system is the same as any other system. My boss told me to just go over to the place that was making our plates and just bang out a few jobs.

I had to tell him him the only commonality between their system and ours was they are both computer based. He didn't believe me until he called up their prepress director.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Wow. Your boss is a special kind of stubborn. Doesn't believe the gun is loaded until something has a hole in it.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Sounds like mine that had a accidental discharge with a blank gun next to my dog's head on christmas.

Nobody was pleased with that one, including the boss but he didn't learn anything from the experience.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Accidental discharge of a firearm = Stupidity. There is no reason for that and first time it happens should be the last time you handle a gun.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

Funny, he is normally the range nazi. I've watched him berate his wife because the shotgun misfired and shot 5 feet in front of the line. I'm actually worse than him with range discipline. I don't fuck around with guns, death comes from them.

It's not a family party unless a gun is brought out. It is kinda a normal thing. He was playing with a unknown blank pistol that was given to him after my uncle died. He wasn't familiar with it and for some reason he thought since they were blanks it didn't need to be checked. I didn't say anything to him as it would have just made things worse. I know that his wife ripped him a new one for weeks afterwards. I think it was an eyeopener for him.

My father taught us better and he knows that. Blank or not it was in a room full of people and next to my dog's head. That's not cool.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Quote from: Farabomb on August 26, 2015, 12:02:37 PMFunny, he is normally the range nazi. I've watched him berate his wife because the shotgun misfired and shot 5 feet in front of the line. I'm actually worse than him with range discipline. I don't fuck around with guns, death comes from them.

It's not a family party unless a gun is brought out. It is kinda a normal thing. He was playing with a unknown blank pistol that was given to him after my uncle died. He wasn't familiar with it and for some reason he thought since they were blanks it didn't need to be checked. I didn't say anything to him as it would have just made things worse. I know that his wife ripped him a new one for weeks afterwards. I think it was an eyeopener for him.

My father taught us better and he knows that. Blank or not it was in a room full of people and next to my dog's head. That's not cool.
This is why he shouldn't be allowed to handle them anymore. People don't get killed on the range, they get killed by guns that "aren't loaded". Safety on and don't even touch the trigger if you're not prepared for something to come out at 1000+fps. Not only is it poor handling, it's poor trigger discipline too.

Farabomb

I'm well aware. I will have a chat with him but I have to catch him just right or I'll end up being shot.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Oh I'm sure you can't fix him. I'm just sayin' is all. I have friends like that too. A "buddy" of mine pumped a .45 ACP through a waterbed once.