News:

Main Menu

5g Phones

Started by DigiCorn, April 15, 2020, 04:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

I did get the iPhone 11 Pro 256gb for something like $37 a month for 2 years on my wireless plan. It's been far less hassle/maintenance than the Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge I had previous, but honestly, I don't like it as much. As far as tablets go, my iPad mini 2 died... well, I got pissed and busted it by essentially crushing the board... and I got an iPad mini 4 for $140 used, and I love it. But for a phone, there's something I like better about the Android.... can't put my finger on it. I feel like I have more control of it's usage and features than I do with Apple. Maybe it's because I like to tinker.

Also, I feel like with Android, I can fuck with it, drop it, water it, freeze it, whatever... but I feel like Apple is more delicate and I have to baby it. As far as tvs go, Android TVs suck. I tried Boxee, WD, and a slew of other boxes but nothing compares to Roku... and if you really want to just have true web on your tv, add a Chromecast.

And FUCK Amazon and all their stupid devices. I'll buy everything under the sun from them, but Amazon Fire, TV, etc. all suck. Unless you just want an old school e-reader.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

I've tried all of the streaming boxes. The Apple TV 4K is my favorite by far. The Fire TV Cube is OK. It would be my second favorite. Not a fan of Roku at all.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

scottrsimons

Joe, since you like the Apple TV 4K, is it a lot better than the old Apple TV. Used to love Roku, but now using Fire stick and PS4 the most. PS4 because of the simplicity, as I game a lot in the basement, and the way I have it setup it is just easier to use it for streaming.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

The Apple TV 4K is the first one I have owned or used so I can't answer that. It has the A10 CPU in it and it is by far faster than any other streaming box I have used (Fire TV, Fire TV Cube and Roku) and the picture quality is great. I would not buy a new one right now as it is rumored that Apple is about to drop a new one with the A12 chip.

DigiCorn

Never had Apple TV as they weren't around when I was demo-ing boxes. Can't imagine anything better than Roku. Boxee had da shit! back int he day, and by far the best remote, with a full QWERTY keyboard on the back, but it was open source, and the Boxee nerds on the forums were ALL fucking assholes.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

EVERY streaming box remote sucks. Harmony is your friend if you don't mind spending big bucks on it.

scottrsimons

What's wrong with having 6 remotes next to your chair for TV, Apple TV, Fire TV, Roku, Cable, and HDMI Switch? Plus it keeps others in the house from messing with the TV.  :dev2:

Joe

I've got 4 at my TV because I am too cheap to pay $200 - $400 for a Harmony remote.

DigiCorn

Let's see... our main TV came with 2 remotes - one standard remote and then one with like a touchpad/microphone combo (https://www.amazon.com/Sony-RMFYD003-Touch-Remote-Control/dp/B013LIO6NY). Then we have the satellite, blu-ray, and surround sound/amplifier remote, which is a total of 5. Other rooms are equally as bad, with HDMI switch remote, Roku remote, TV remote, stereo/amp remote, DVD/blu-ray remote, and then gaming system controls.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

For a mere $269.99 you can replace all of them with a single Logitech Harmony Elite Remote Control, Hub and App

David

I use all my remotes as part of the living room decor...

it's so 2020

:rotf:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

scottrsimons

I forgot to add my massive PS3 remote, which I basically only use for a BluRay/DVD player these days.

born2print

Quote from: david on May 21, 2020, 10:51:14 AM

it's so 2020

:lmao:
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Possum

Quote from: david on May 21, 2020, 10:51:14 AM

it's so 2020

Of course! Who needs coffee table books when you can just spread out the tasteful array of remotes?
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

David

all arranged artfully on the table...  or the arm of the couch... or maybe in the other room...

where's the tv remote?

:hangme:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca