Rampage v13 & Tekgraf DoubleProofer...

Started by Antonotron, March 12, 2014, 08:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonotron

Hey all,

so we finally switched over to our V13 Rampage box... things are running OK so far--however... found out when trying to set up the DoubleProofer that... *drum roll*...

the "DoubleProof Manager" software that communicates with the HP is only compatible with Windows 2K... and Rampage V13 comes on a Windows 7 workstation...

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

so... my next course of action is: would it be possible to repurpose one of the old Rampage boxes running Win2K to drive the DoubleProofer? i.e. the print/proof queue is still on the 13 box, but instead of sending directly to the DoubleProofer, it funnels through the 2K box, which drives the "DoubleProof Manager" software?

headache. i need a drink already.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken..." -Colonel Sanders

mwc

was the DoubleProof Manager a separate software application? (non-rampage?)
We 'used to' run a doubleproofer with Rampage RPD (RamProofDirect) - so I have no experience with the actual DP Manager software...as we didn't need it.
Does the software take data in from a hot-folder....if so, I think you should be able to install/share it from any W2K pc and have Rampage drop ps,tiff,rtl...etc to it?

Antonotron

the "DoubleProof Manager" software was a small proprietary application from Tekgraf (don't think they'll be releasing any updates for it anytime soon... or EVER.)

all it is basically is an automated print queue manager, on top of the windows print queue, that communicates with the HP when it's printed one side to: unload the paper, reload the sheet, and then automate through all the loading prompts on the printer. so a BASIC piece of software, but without it -- the DoubleProofer is rendered useless and reduces the HP back down to just a standard plotter.

I'm hoping to re-purpose the old Win2k box to run that software and control the printer and then share it through the network... it's gotta work, right?

mwc

As long as you can share a directory on the W2K machine and map it on your Rampage Win7 box to send your output files to (assuming you had used a Ramproof PS or Tiff out profile from rampage)...it should work as before. I know sharing directories on Win7 so W2K can see them can be 'tricky' at best, but the other direction 'should' work???

Joe

It's tricky to get Win 7 to see W2K shares too but it can be done with a registry hack.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

a) Rampage is history so not sure how much time/money you want to invest in a solution
b) Rampage is a fussy little prick, so even with a proper dongle, repurposing Rampage can be extremely tricky. A lot of times new equipment means driver conflict and Rampage support is pretty much gone so if you f--- something up, you may not be able to put it back anymore.
c) you'd probably have to go through Tekgraf for any support as it is not Rampage, so Rampage (if someone still answers phones) won't support it
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Antonotron

yeaaaah... shitty thing about that is Tekgraf is long since out of business...

(with a solid product like the DoubleProofer, I can't imagine why...) /SARCASM

looks like it's time to phone Rampage and hope someone answers who hasn't completely checked out...!

thanks for the input, Senor Corn!

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 13, 2014, 08:27:39 AMa) Rampage is history so not sure how much time/money you want to invest in a solution
b) Rampage is a fussy little prick, so even with a proper dongle, repurposing Rampage can be extremely tricky. A lot of times new equipment means driver conflict and Rampage support is pretty much gone so if you f--- something up, you may not be able to put it back anymore.
c) you'd probably have to go through Tekgraf for any support as it is not Rampage, so Rampage (if someone still answers phones) won't support it