Archive or Archive to file?

Started by born2print, August 26, 2009, 03:13:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

born2print

We are using "Archive" with an AIT jukebox to archive client work and for the Prinergy backup...

I'm hearing there's a definite issue coming though, we run 4.0x on servers running Windows 2003 and run the AIT jukebox (Archive) using RSM (Removable Storage Management) in Windows

Well, Kodak is saying Windows 2008 will not have/support RSM!!!
I think if you run Prinergy 5 or higher, you need Win2008.

So, now I'm hearing about different work-arounds, like "Archive to file" which I am not familiar with. Also note, even if you find a new solution for archiving, once you give up your Win2003 you CAN NOT get anything off your tapes any longer.
For me, that would mean 38 AIT tapes full of jobs and counting.

Any answers, questions, other issues welcomed. I want to plan a good solution and I think I have some time.
CHEERS
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

pmhapp

Using Prinergy 5/Win2003/Archive to Disk here.

Never used Archive to Tape/AITs/RSM, so I have no input there.

But, at least you don't have to worry about getting rid of your 2003 box so quickly.

born2print

Sweet, good news so far. I'm not sure if we will be upgrading to 4.1 or 5, depends when I guess.

How does Archive to Disk work pmhapp?

Joe

Quote from: pmhapp on August 26, 2009, 03:32:06 PMUsing Prinergy 5/Win2003/Archive to Disk here.

Never used Archive to Tape/AITs/RSM, so I have no input there.

But, at least you don't have to worry about getting rid of your 2003 box so quickly.

Same here...(Prinergy 5/Win2003/Archive to Disk)

Archive to disk...you setup in the administrator where your archive volume is then you just archive via "Storage>Archive>Archive>ArchiveSelected" to do it manually. Mucho faster then our old AIT tape drive.

Can also set it up in RBA but we really haven't gotten into RBA yet. Training is still a couple weeks away on that.

Also you can still use the AIT in Prinergy 5. We almost went with it but finally decided to do the disk archive.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

The Prinergy 4 server I played with we set up a separate file server with 1TB of storage and archived to disk there. Prinergy created a .zip file with all the info for the job and the pages. It worked great. We never used the AIT drive at all. We Norton Ghosted the drives onto another server in case of a bare metal recovery.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

born2print

Joe, it's a great "first" RBA, you'll set a trigger like setting status to completed then define the archive, purge and move with an email alert for failures.  :cool:

J&M, So a pair of HUGE drives using Archive to disk sounds like a plan.... I reckon we don't need to archive from those drives, just delete after 3-5 years but that will be weird for me as I can retrieve files all the way back to 1996 right now.

Another issue is what's on tape now, it occurs to me that if I start archiving to disk now I won't have to transfer from the tapes... as long as I don't go to Win2008 for 3-5 years from now.
Thanks!

Joe

Quote from: born2print on August 27, 2009, 09:49:46 AMJoe, it's a great "first" RBA, you'll set a trigger like setting status to completed then define the archive, purge and move with an email alert for failures.  :cool:

J&M, So a pair of HUGE drives using Archive to disk sounds like a plan.... I reckon we don't need to archive from those drives, just delete after 3-5 years but that will be weird for me as I can retrieve files all the way back to 1996 right now.

Another issue is what's on tape now, it occurs to me that if I start archiving to disk now I won't have to transfer from the tapes... as long as I don't go to Win2008 for 3-5 years from now.
Thanks!

Hey born, you can get a 1 TB drive for under $100 from newegg.com. If you set up a raid you could archive until it's almost full, take the drives out and set them on a shelf, and put new drives in. Then you would have them forever.

born2print

Quote from: Joe on August 27, 2009, 09:58:40 AMHey born, you can get a 1 TB drive for under $100 from newegg.com. If you set up a raid you could archive until it's almost full, take the drives out and set them on a shelf, and put new drives in. Then you would have them forever.
That's even brilliant-er!  :cool: :cool: :cool:

born2print

I just figured out why I'm so clueless and unable to find info on "archive to disk"
it was first released with v5 and I'm in v4.0
 :laugh:

Joe

Yep, that would be why. :tongue:

5.1 is being released today (9/4/09).

pmhapp

Quote from: Joe on September 04, 2009, 02:00:19 AM5.1 is being released today (9/4/09).

Oh?  Are you on the Early Production list?

Joe

Support told me a few days ago it would be released today. Today they changed their tune to "very soon". :laugh:

They also told me today, in relation to another thread around about what version of APPE Prinergy is running, that Prinergy 5.0 has APPE 1. Prinergy 5.1 has APPE 2. They think APPE 2 will fix some of the issues we are having with transparency. Specifically Quark 8.1 PDF's with live transparency.

pmhapp

Quote from: Joe on September 04, 2009, 11:06:14 PMSpecifically Quark 8.1 PDF's with live transparency.

What kinds of problems are you having with those?  I've only tried a few.

Joe

Quote"W 04Sep09 08:26:16.496 [14284.10068] HW20703-07 ARAXI PPrinterJTP
MNZA_JMFClient.cpp(670): APPE: ACR ERROR: 1, Error during transparency atomic region
processing file"

When we screen our one bit tiffs we get this error occasionally. Not all the time but enough to be a problem. Our work around was to switch to the CPSI RIP but we got burned because it dropped out two backgrounds in an ad and the job printed that way. OUCH!!! Kodak thinks APPE 2.0 will take care of it. They are supposed to be testing the files on it for us but probably won't hear back until Tuesday.