News:

Main Menu

Nexus 8.6 rev 1

Started by Joe, January 17, 2008, 12:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

is out! Enjoy and stock up on Grecian Formula.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

T

Has anybody installed 8.6 yet? I'm running on a windows 2003 and 8.6 freezes quite often.(twice a shift)  Anybody else seeing this??

Joe

I've installed it but haven't tested it much. Was planning to test today but with an impending midwest blizzard hitting I may leave early and not get around to testing.

Joe

Quote from: T on January 31, 2008, 11:01:20 AMHas anybody installed 8.6 yet? I'm running on a windows 2003 and 8.6 freezes quite often.(twice a shift)  Anybody else seeing this??

Okay, had to chance to run 8.6 through a barrage of files. I ran it for a whole shift. 2 boxes both on WIN 2003 Server Standard fully up to date with all service packs and other updates. I never had any freeze ups, lock ups, or any other problems. I don't have any of the PDF options (Total RIP) that I'm pretty sure you do. I was strictly running rasters (CT/LW's with low res EPS links) on one box while then imposing and sending them to the other box for screening one-bit tiffs for proofing and plates. Not one file erred out or had any content drop off like I've seen a lot of in 8.5 rev 3. I ran 328 pages through, all PDF's exported from InDesign CS3 loaded with transparency. I have to say I was impressed enough that I've moved it into production as it seems a lot more stable and a lot less error prone than 8.5 rev 3. Unusual for a rev 1.

T

Ya, I was communicating with Long and he's telling me that it's more related to a network issue. I'm having problems with the Portserver.exe. When I try to quit the portserver, I can't. I have to force quit. So, Long is saying it's a network issue. I'll investgate.

repro_is_still_alive

i am having problems with 8.6 exporting PDF's with lots of transparency, runs out of memory, the only way round it is to select the flatten option when exporting, apart from that all seems to be ok, running Nexus Processor/Rip/TotalRIP.

T

I guess I'm overloading the servers.(from support) I cut my modules in half and we'll see what happens. I know my users are going to complain. I wish AWS would develope some kind of load bearing system for their servers.

Joe

Quote from: T on February 05, 2008, 07:19:11 AMI guess I'm overloading the servers.(from support) I cut my modules in half and we'll see what happens. I know my users are going to complain. I wish AWS would develope some kind of load bearing system for their servers.

Hi T,

How much RAM do you have in the Nexus box? I'd max it out to 4 gb if it's not. That's what sucks about using a widows box. You are limited to 4 gb unless you move to a 64 bit machine and OS. Macs don't have that limitation. Also, how many users do you have feeding one box? It's a constant battle with us having about 6 people running stuff all at the same time. The more jobs that accumulate in Nexus Manager the slower it gets. I tell people to purge their jobs when they are done with them but it's like it's against their religion to dump their jobs. Then they are pissed when they go back a week later looking for the "you know, that job I did last week" and it's not there because I clean the jobs out nightly.

T

4GB and around 10 - 15 users at any given time. 4 server boxes total.
I tell them over and over. "If the trap looks good, please trash your job." "If you have a proof, please trash your job."

I have the proofing devices set to purge at 30 minutes. But it won't delete the job off the server.?? It seems to just show a trash can in the manager?? Am I doing something wrong??

Anyway, we have many devices that these poor servers are trying to feed.

4 Epson 9800
3 Canon 8400
3 HP 5500
1 Fuji proofer
2 Trendsetters
1 VLF
1 Magnus
Plus all the trapping and such. I'm dancing everyday. :tongue:

Joe

I think there is a setting somewhere that you can set it to delete jobs when they are purged. Not at work right now but I will look later. I could be imagining things though. Sometimes I get my wish list confused with reality. :balloon:

It's a constant battle for me too to get users to delete their jobs. Like it would kill them to go back to Preps and reprint it if they need it in the workflow again. I think I will cast a spell upon them! :witchdoctor:

T

Gimme some of that Voodoo :evil:

whoami

Quote from: Joe  on February 06, 2008, 12:57:55 PMI think there is a setting somewhere that you can set it to delete jobs when they are purged. Not at work right now but I will look later. I could be imagining things though. Sometimes I get my wish list confused with reality. :balloon:

It's a constant battle for me too to get users to delete their jobs. Like it would kill them to go back to Preps and reprint it if they need it in the workflow again. I think I will cast a spell upon them! :witchdoctor:

There is a setting where you can set the jobs to delete on purge.  If you open up a workflow and right click on it and go to properties there is an option called "delete on purge".  You can set this up for each individual workflow.    As far as the freezing goes i recommend  upgrading your server.  We are now running a dual quad core with 12 gb of RAM and it seems that we are handling things really well.

T

Yep, I found that check box and things are purging. As far as the upgrade, I'd love to , but the powers that be don't like to let go of $$$. It's hard to get anything.

Joe

The jobs never purge though. We have them set up for differing proofers and presses so the workflow job never fully completes. Fewer workflows to manage this way but it has it's downside as you can see.

As far as upgrading, we just upgraded a year ago to dual quads. We only have 4 gb of ram (did I really say only 4 gb? LOL ) but that's all the 32 bit version of Windows 2003 server will see so that's not an option either.

hotmetal

Carl from AWS was here for the last couple days, installing 8.6r1 and working out some Webway bugs.

He got Webway working but left a couple hours ago for Bristol, frustrated with 8.6r1, couldn't get it to stabilize. Running on a pre-Intel G5 quad with 8GB ram. So we're back on 8.5r2. Oh well. Hadn't worked with Carl before, he's good.

I don't configure this stuff, I just use it in a dignified and professional manner and occasionally point out the latest bugs to the boss.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." ...
Hunter S. Thompson