Collage Design Time

Started by Skryber, September 14, 2012, 04:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryber

I need to come up with a price for these collages. I've made these 2 for people at work so they were free but now I have customers who want these. We would normally charge $50 an hour for design. I have a huge collection of "scrap kits" that I use for the "elements" of the design. It really doesn't take me long at all to put together. The scanning and photo correcting if there is any is what takes time. I'd say 2-3 hours all together if using a kit I already have. For most materials, we charge around $6 a square foot. The customer would be spending between $20-$50 on average for one print. What do you think is a fair price for a one time design charge? I keep telling my boss $100 but I really have no idea. I need opinions.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Joe

I would say $100 for 2 - 3 hours is fair.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

100 bones is too cheap. If you have to scan and CC all those images, I wouldn't do it for less than 150. More like 200.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 14, 2012, 04:34:46 PM100 bones is too cheap. If you have to scan and CC all those images, I wouldn't do it for less than 150. More like 200.

That seems a little steep for 2-3 hours of work for that type of product.

Skryber

My boss thinks it's too cheap too. But I'm taking into mind that one of these designs the person would have been paying $216 in prints if they were being charged. I guess we can always say, if they are only spending "X" amount on prints, we charge $200, but if they purchase more, maybe do for less.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

Skryber

My concern is scaring off the business, especially bc I like this kind of work.

DigitalCrapShoveler

When you think about how much a mechanic makes, or a doctor per hour, it's NOT too much at all. It takes skill that not too many people have to do this kind of shit, and why should we take less? 2-3 hours of work is like 33 - 50 an hour. I know a lot of people WAY less capable charging 2 - 3 times that amount for doing A LOT less.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I wouldn't have a problem with it if she can get it. I think it might do just as she said and be "scaring off the business". I definitely wouldn't do it for less though.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Test the market, Skryber... try to go high and see how it goes. If business falls off, lower it.
Member #285 - Civilian

Skryber

This kind of thing can be an "everyone chips in" kind of job too. For any event really. These happen to be for celebration of life and funerals. I bet the custy would try and get other family to pay for part as well. I'll tell boss $200 and see how it works out.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I think that's very reasonable.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Good luck. I personally don't think that is too much. Probably because I know what goes into it. The rest of the human race though...I'm not too sure.

DCurry

I think it needs to be broken down between scanning (scanning charge to include cleanup and correction), assembly/design and printouts. You could keep a few "stock" designs handy that you could just plop the photos into and that would keep costs down on the assembly charge, and if someone wanted a more custom look it would cost more. If they supply digital photos that would also cut down on the scan time so it would be cheaper.

I would charge a minimum of $150 for the scanning/assembly, then whatever the prints cost. That's a lot of time scanning and cleaning up the images.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Skryber

Yes I've thought of keeping around ready made designs. Good plan.

gnubler

Is this freelance? I charge $25/hr for private work.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david