News:

Main Menu

Burning Disks

Started by Tracy, January 27, 2021, 11:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

It's been 15+ years, but my old old bosses insisted that we burn backups to CD x2. He then made an argument I couldn't reject: It's cheaper. It's smaller. It's redundant. And if a CD gets destroyed, we only lose 600mb of jobs.

But yes, do the thing Joe said. Those were different times. Dark times. Let's never speak of them again.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

OMG you guys!
I am going to get it!
sheesh thanks so much everybody!
on my own I would not have pursued this!
I love you guys!!

I may have questions Joe!!

I think I will do 1TB drives not sure tho

Tracy

Hey Joe can you send me a link for the proper drive?
:-* thanks!!

born2print

Another issue with DVDs is that after a long time, you'll need to build another building to store them  :P
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

DigiCorn

No kidding. I think we had like 83 binders of CD backups... and then a phonebook with job numbers and disc numbers cross referenced by binder number to find the freaking disc we might need from the archives.

And now that company is defunct. All that work for jack shit.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: david on January 28, 2021, 10:51:56 AM
Joe, the picture shows 2 drive slots of different sizes,
but in other pictures it shows 2 full size HDs in the slots.
Is there a cover that comes off to allow for 2 full size HDs in the slots?

looks cool, may need to get one.

The cover flips down out of the way with the full size drive. It has an opening for the small drive so it doesn't need flipped down for the smaller one.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 28, 2021, 11:04:10 AM
So do you back the files up or relying on the drive to last a long time?
I guess I'm relying on the disks to last a long time, but like Born said
I wonder some day nothing will read them

You do your backups to the hard drive you put in this device. When you fill them up put them on the shelf. Don't get me wrong hard drives can go bad too but I have hard drives made in 2012 that still work fine. Technology can always bite you in the future but it is a risk with any type of backup medium.

Tracy

Joe see above I am going to get this! can you pretty please send me links to the correct drives to use?
I may be interested in the larger drive, I'm thinking I will put all the DVDs onto a drive too
I already use Disk Catalog Maker so yay!

My dad is getting vaccinated today so I'll be back tomorrow!!!
:banana:

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 28, 2021, 11:21:23 AM
Hey Joe can you send me a link for the proper drive?
:-* thanks!!

https://www.amazon.com/WD-Blue-1TB-Hard-Drive/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=1tb+sata+hard+drive&qid=1611856055&sr=8-3

This one is a Western Digital. Seagate drives are fine too. Basically any 3.5" sata internal hard drive. I prefer the 7200 RPM drives over the 5400 RPM drives.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on January 28, 2021, 11:48:06 AMI prefer the 7200 RPM drives over the 5400 RPM drives.

why not 10600? or ssd?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on January 28, 2021, 12:06:44 PM
Quote from: Joe on January 28, 2021, 11:48:06 AMI prefer the 7200 RPM drives over the 5400 RPM drives.

why not 10600? or ssd?

10600 or SSD would work but will be more expensive. For backup 7200 is fine for me. For SSD to get the speed benefits you would have to have USB 3 on both the ends of the connection. If one of them is USB 2 you won't see any speed benefit from an SSD.

pspdfppdfxhd

Love my new SSD replacement on my iMac when the fusion drive crapped out. Apps open so quickly and it seems like it gave photoshop a big boost.

Joe

Quote from: Tracy on January 28, 2021, 11:46:30 AM
Joe see above I am going to get this! can you pretty please send me links to the correct drives to use?
I may be interested in the larger drive, I'm thinking I will put all the DVDs onto a drive too
I already use Disk Catalog Maker so yay!

My dad is getting vaccinated today so I'll be back tomorrow!!!
:banana:

Here is another link for a 2 TB Seagate 7200 RPM Drive

Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB 7200 RPM 256MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive

$54.99 (Sale is good for 3 days)

Tracy

Aw man! Thanks so much, going to order today!

I'm going to have to have. you fill out a contact card when you retire :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Joe

Right now I'm looking for a cheap South Pacific island to buy. No phone service. No internet service. No people. :rotf:

You inspired me yesterday Tracy so I did archiving this way. Small archive of 182 GB took about two hours of me doing nothing while it worked.