AMD A4 (4-core) XP box

Started by DigiCorn, August 14, 2012, 10:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

Over $485 in parts - selling for just $375 + shipping or will trade for a decent digital projector (must have component cable inputs), or a decent surround sound amp + speakers. A machine like this goes for $400+ on eBay for just the tower - not including all the wi-fi and other stuff I'm providing.

AMD A4 tower - faster than the intel i3 chip!
4 GB DDR3 RAM - has three open spots to add more
dual DVD burners
500 GB ATA hard drive (uses the faster SATA 6, not 3)
802.11b/g/n usb wifi
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse
3 Firewire ports (2 external, 1 internal)
HDMI/VGA/DVI - dual monitor support - integrated Radion 6000 series video card
15" LCD included
2 open PCIe slots
USB 3.0

This is a smokin' fast machine, and clean! I built this machine for a "friend," who bought a new computer while I was working on it. Now I'm stuck, because she was supposed to pay me for it.

All parts from Fry's. Never used! She wanted Windows XP, so that's what I installed, but is Windows 7/8 ready. (Windows 8 will be a $39.95 upgrade when it launches around November 1,2012 if you download from MS before Jan. 1, 2013).

It's already assembled (not just parts) and works great. Boxed up and ready to ship. Comes with all driver disks (no XP disk) and an HDMI cable. Just plug it in, and you're ready to go!! PM me if interested.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Just built two similar ones at home about a month ago. Had you been a little sooner I would have been interested. Pretty good price.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Joe on August 14, 2012, 10:31:52 AMJust built two similar ones at home about a month ago. Had you been a little sooner I would have been interested. Pretty good price.
Damn! I've had it on CL locally (for $425) for a month. Just dropped my CL price to $400 ($375 for B4Print members).
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

It worked out OK for me. I was only going to build one of them but TigerDirect mistakenly shipped the motherboard, 8 gb RAM, CPU & fan, and power supply twice. I called them about returning them and they told me to keep them since it was their mistake. So I used the extra parts to replace the motherboard, 8 gb RAM, CPU & fan, and power supply in my slow old XP machine that wouldn't run for longer than 5 minutes (leaking capacitors on the MB) and ended up with 2 new computers for the price of 1.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 14, 2012, 10:37:37 AM
Quote from: Joe on August 14, 2012, 10:31:52 AMJust built two similar ones at home about a month ago. Had you been a little sooner I would have been interested. Pretty good price.
Damn! I've had it on CL locally (for $425) for a month. Just dropped my CL price to $400 ($375 for B4Print members).

Just wondering how you arrived at 93.75% for b4p'ers.  Show all workings, please.   :cheesy:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigiCorn

I took $25 U.S. off the price.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: DigiCorn on August 14, 2012, 10:22:55 AMI built this machine for a "friend,"

Can you elaborate?

I mean, we know the names of your service technicians and some guy you went bowling with 20 years ago. Why so secret?
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: gnubler on August 15, 2012, 02:27:24 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on August 14, 2012, 10:22:55 AMI built this machine for a "friend,"

Can you elaborate?

I mean, we know the names of your service technicians and some guy you went bowling with 20 years ago. Why so secret?
It's the pressman's on-again-off-again-on-again fianceé
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

David

well, as long as it's a semi-permanent relationship
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

After a month plus of listing this A4 computer on CL, I finally got an offer.

A Vivitek D510 projector, 50' hdmi cable, ceiling mount and a portable screen (of unknown size)

It does do 1080i, but in a 4:3 ratio... also looks like max size of projection is around 7' wide. About 100 hours on the bulb. Seem like a fair trade?
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

CL brings Mexicans and old crappy tires together like nothing I've ever seen.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on September 06, 2012, 02:03:18 PMCL brings Mexicans and old crappy tires together like nothing I've ever seen.

Fills the void left by K-Mart.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

local CL story:

a chick here put 2 mac laptops for sale on CL, then gave out her address...

guess what happened?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

A shitload of hipsters showed up and left PBR cans and cigarette butts all over the place?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

And coffee cups. :laugh:

I can't top that.