Transparency ISsue with 4color PSD on top of Spot Color Background

Started by rickself, January 22, 2019, 09:46:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickself

Hey all -
We just put in a Ricoh Pro C5200S with a Fiery rip in front. I know, it's a big copy machine. But the colors are OUTSTANDING and the speed is very nice. It takes up to 18 point, which is great for short run folding cartons.
I have an InDesign file that has a layered 4 color PSD image with transparency, laying on top of a Cool Gray 11 background. The image has an ever so slight bounding box around it and I'm not sure what the heck to do. Trying to find help from Fiery support isn't easy to come by and my next step after this is contacting Ricoh.
I'm on Mac Indesign CC 2017, Fiery E24-B. None of this is of much help I guess.
Maybe I need to add the spot color to the PSD file? That's slightly above my knowledge skills!!
Thanks in advance for any direction.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

rickself

The PSD image has a bounding box transparency issue
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S

Joe

Are you printing from Indy straight to the fiery or making a PDF and sending that over? I would try exporting a PDF/X-1A PDF and try to print that.

rickself

I've tried both. Saving as a pdf and printing direct to the Fiery Held box.
PDF X1A got rid of the bounding box but now I have a knockout where the 4 color image should be

Tracy

might need to flatten the psd
Are you using Command Workstation?

rickself

Yes, Command Workstation 6.3.0.
I can Merge the layers and retain the transparency. It looks like if I flatten, it puts a white background behind.

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

rickself

I have converted to process and it printed pretty good. It still doesn't have the nice flat color in the image bounding box area but is in my terms acceptable. Petco has been pretty adamant that they have other vendors printing 5 color but who knows - they may be going offset, not digital. I'll try to get them to accept the 4 color option.
Thanks all for the help.
Something in the back-40 of my mind was thinking there had been transparency issues when printing PDF's from Indy but maybe that's been resolved. Still, Indy would not be my first choice for agency supplied art.

Kermy812

I had a pretty similar issue on a different digital press - I basically had to convert the Pantone in the filework to process.

rickself

I still think I should be able to print the spot color plus process on this machine, which is supposedly state of the art. Just didn't know if it was a Fiery issue, Ricoh issue, or Indy issue.

DigiCorn

Sometimes you can delete the offending box in Pitstop. Other times you can rasterize the whole thing in Photoshop.

[edit] and it IS a Fiery issue. Running the same file through a proper RIP will alleviate the issue. If you have that option, maybe you can export a PDF to use.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

At the Command Workstation window you can see if it is using the "print engine preferred"
you will have to add that to your menu bar to see it.
you can uncheck it and try it.
screenshot

rickself

I see every other option BUT the PDF Print Engine Preferred.

Joe

That is because your company didn't spend the extra $25K for the Adobe PDF Print Engine license...like mine did not either.