News:

Main Menu

Intel Macs

Started by prepressDog, September 14, 2007, 05:12:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prepressDog

My boss is about to buy an Intel Mac...
Any good feedback would be great. I know their faster.
Can you load old software?

I'm thinking we need to get:
XP (not vista...dont trust it yet....and have old software we still want to use)
Adobe CS3 upgrade $400 (Acrobat, Indy, Illy, Photoshop)
Will the old Pitstop 6 and quite imposing work?
Even though I dont want to can you load Quark 6.5??

How much ram...I have 1.5gb now on a reg G5 and works fine.
I figure the intel mac is faster.

Any bugs, etc.

Tks!

Joe

No classic at all. The more RAM the better, especially if you are planning on running Windows along side OS X. Pitstop 6 does work with Acrobat 6 and 7. Not with Acrobat 8. Quark 6.5 will run under Rosetta.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

doubting_thomas

Cured all of my font foes with Quack 6.5 for some reason. Go figure. Like Joe said, no Classic, period. CS3
runs faster than CS2 on the MacPro. Don't do the Quicktime 7.2 update unless someone you
trust says you can. I've heard it breaks Rosetta, though I can't confirm it. I run 4 gigs of RAM and it seems to
be plenty for what we do.

mc hristel

I would get a bunch of RAM.  We have 2 Intel Macs here with the minimum 1GB of RAM (thanks tech department), and they are very very sloooooow.  We have G4s that are faster.  Still running CS2 on them, but 1GB would not be enough even running CS3.  Waiting 5 minutes just to open a file in Photoshop is rather rediculus.  Lucky for me I am still working on one of the G5s.

beermonster

get as much ram as possible as said previously

depending on what you are using it for - there seems to be mixed reactions to the colour quality of these machines

apparently the new "silver" imac has a brighter screen - so how thats going to work after calibrating etc - with all the gretag stuff or hueys etc - i have no idea - but feedback is not the best.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

jezza

You might be able to get classic stuff to run using sheep saver

http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/sheepshaver/

There's a good 'how to article over at mac mega site

http://macmegasite.com/drupal/node/2810

I've never used it, so I can't help anymore than that, but it may help if you really do need to run a classic app.
one sick prepress mofo

kermit

Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2007, 05:54:22 PMPitstop 6 does work with Acrobat 6 and 7. Not with Acrobat 8

Well, I am running Acrobat 8.1 with Pitstop 7.2 on my intel MBP and I don't have any problems.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Joe

Quote from: staten on September 17, 2007, 06:32:10 AM
Quote from: Joe on September 14, 2007, 05:54:22 PMPitstop 6 does work with Acrobat 6 and 7. Not with Acrobat 8

Well, I am running Acrobat 8.1 with Pitstop 7.2 on my intel MBP and I don't have any problems.

Yes, that will work. Pitstop 6.x though will not work with Acrobat 8. The question was about Pitstop 6.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

kermit

I'm sorry, I didn't see that. Need more coffee.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Admin

Quote from: staten on September 17, 2007, 10:09:54 AMI'm sorry, I didn't see that. Need more coffee.
LOL...pour some beer in it. That will get your week going better. Happy Monday! ;D

Zimmy3

Quote from: prepressDog on September 14, 2007, 05:12:01 PMAny good feedback would be great.
Yo dog,
Iv'e heard Illy CS2 tends to run a little buggy.

Just lettin you know,Illy CS2 will crash on a quit.(quit application)
Other than that CS2 runs ok on my Intel.
Because it feels good !

jezza

Quote from: Zimmy3 on September 17, 2007, 11:38:47 AMJust lettin you know,Illy CS2 will crash on a quit.(quit application)

Where did you hear that Zimmy? You gotta link or something? I have Illy refuse to quit at a restart causing the process to time out and I have to quit manually, not quite the same thing but related perhaps...

Using a black Mac Book here at home
one sick prepress mofo

Zimmy3

Quote from: jezza on September 17, 2007, 01:18:49 PM
Quote from: Zimmy3 on September 17, 2007, 11:38:47 AMJust lettin you know,Illy CS2 will crash on a quit.(quit application)

Where did you hear that Zimmy? You gotta link or something? I have Illy refuse to quit at a restart causing the process to time out and I have to quit manually, not quite the same thing but related perhaps...

Using a black Mac Book here at home
I got a
Model Name:   Mac Pro
  Model Identifier:   MacPro1,1
  Processor Name:   Dual-Core Intel Xeon
  Processor Speed:   2.66 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   2
  Total Number Of Cores:   4
  L2 Cache (per processor):   4 MB
  Memory:   4 GB
  Bus Speed:   1.33 GHz
  Boot ROM Version:   MP11.005C.B04
  SMC Version:   1.7f8
System Version:   Mac OS X 10.4.10 (8R2218)
  Kernel Version:   Darwin 8.10.1
I remember this topic on PPF.
Might have been you and I.
All I know is when I quit Illy CS2,it quits then I get "application unexpectedly quit"
Here's the report:

Date/Time:      2007-09-17 15:41:21.323 -0400
OS Version:     10.4.10 (Build 8R2218)
Report Version: 4

Command: Adobe Illustrator
Path:    /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CS2/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Illustrator
Parent:  WindowServer [58]
Rosetta: Yes

Version: 12.0.1 (12.0.1)

PID:    1846
Thread: Unknown

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000005

plus a lot more,too much to post here............

Because it feels good !

jezza

'Thread unknown' says it I think, it points to something not being understood in Rosetta

'Bad Access' is a memory allocation problem. Equally a problem with Rosetta I think. Don't expect a fix.

Thanks for crashing Illy for me :)  8)
one sick prepress mofo

jezza

Just a quick update Zimmy, I am unable to replicate the crash

Unsaved doc
Unsaved doc with fonts
Saved doc
Saved doc with fonts

All no crash at quit. Can you mail me a file? I'll take a look
one sick prepress mofo