Disappearing Text

Started by orka81, June 04, 2014, 03:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orka81

Hi guys,

i have an unusual problem. PDF supplied by client (Adobe InDesign Server CS4). Goes into Rampage or Prinergy and one code disappears (same code on 2 pages) when the file is ripped. It prints fine from the originating PDF, incidentally.

Turn on Separations Preview and the code disappears.

The code is black, by the way. And it cannot be selected at all using Pitstop.

It is a layered PDF, but the code still shows when all the layers are turned off.

The workaround is to make a PS of the PDF, distill that and only then does the text become editable, and also "rippable" in either Prinergy or Rampage. What sucks about this is that the PDF originates from a company whose lawyers mandate that we not touch their PDFs at all for any reason.

The code, when it is distilled, is: HelveticaNeueLTW1G-CN, and is a Type 1 font.

Any ideas what's causing this? I've looked some on the web but haven't found anything that hasn't already been troubleshot to death.

Thanks,

Orka81

Life turns on the head of a dime, yet somehow we muddle through

Tracy

I have see this too, i had to retype set
let us know if you figure it out!

Joe

Yeah I've seen it on those types of PDF's and I usually do something similar to what you did.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

I've seen that before - it's usually an annotation or some other method of adding text via Acrobat and doesn't always play nice.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

almaink

PDF comments I'll bet. I had one like this last week. I've also seen word transparency cause ripping issues with black objects like rules and sometimes text dropping out.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

David

I had a file supplied as a pdf with a "perf die" built in it just 3 days ago.
It wouldn't rip.
Found out they had built the die as a comment...  WTF?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

abc

Any chance you can post the file?
Got something I would like to try with it.
I'll send it back to you afterwards to try. (promise !)

orka81

I can't post my file due to legal issues and all that jazz.

DigiCorn

Quote from: DCurry on June 04, 2014, 06:40:53 PMI've seen that before - it's usually an annotation or some other method of adding text via Acrobat and doesn't always play nice.
Pretty certain that the file originated in InDesign and that section is "interactive text." I get this sometimes as pdf only, and what I do it save the file as a .ps and redistill (cardinal sin). Then you can select it, and outline it, or whatever.

If you can get the native ID file, then you can select it and convert it to a test field.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

orka81

Thanks all,

I did find that by optimizing the file and turning on the "Discard all comments, forms and multimedia" option, that the text disappears as well. We'll never get the Indy files, since there are so many layers to the organization supplying the PDFs. Oh well, something to get burned on in the future.

Thanks again.

DigiCorn

I'm positive this is the answer, should you ever get the ID file:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

abc

I'm pretty sure I know what the problem is, we have a fix for it in PitStop but it's not released yet.

orka81

ABC-

I stripped out all the text except for the offending code.

Have at it!

abc

Here you go. How's this one work for you?

beermonster

have ya tried the good old handy add a watermark flatten and convert text to outlines trick?  :drunk3:
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world