Oris...Gmg...pros/cons

Started by mwc, October 09, 2007, 08:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mwc

Looking to replace our Epson 7600 soon (maybe a 7880 or the monster 11880)
At the same time we are looking to bump into an Oris or Gmg system to drive the proofer.

Trying to put another nail in the coffin of our Fuji FinalProof (we still use for critical color and the dot/morie predictions)
Current Epson driven with Rampage w/ICC option....it works, but not friendly to maintain color...

We are an Commercial Offset shop, 4c Half-Sheet, conventional screening 150 - 200 line,
Looking for Pros/Cons/Experiences with these systems (Oris, Gmg...or any others at the top of the proofing food chain)
ALSO Looking for ease of use, repeatability, ease of use, repeatability, ease of use,repeatability, and ease of use.

kermit

short answer: they are both very comparable in quality but gmg was always a bit better in IPA shootouts.

speed: gmg wins if you want to rip contone to dot proofs

interface: gmg wins as you have one window for all your printers and hotfolders. In Oris you have one window for each hotfolder. I had 21" 1600x1200 monitor and it was all cluttered. Imagine that each folder has a thick frame on Windows Pc.

screened proofs: gmg wins. Oris couldn't get moire free proofs for all my printers and all linescreens I was using.

price: both very close

what gmg has that Oris doesn't: automatic printer calibration with HP Z series printers. You basically set the time at night and forget it. It will calibrate itself. Also gmg has remote calibration wizard. This will allow you to have one iSis on any pc in any location and calibrate multiple printers remotely. In case you have gmg rip in server closet...

You can use remote cal wizard for calibrating printers at client offices. This you cannot do in Oris.

There are 2 things that Oris has and gmg doesn't do. 1) it has load balancing. This is important if let say you have 2 or 3 the same printers and printer 1 is printing something. Oris is smart enough to send the next job to the other printer. In gmg you have to pick a Proofer Profile in Rampage without knowing how many jobs are waiting in the queue for printer 1. This has never been the problem in my place. 2) Oris has soft proofing. It's not free. Not the best color matching but something that is cheaper than the current KING ICS Remote Director.

I went with gmg because I wanted to replace my Fuji FinalProof and I HAD the get the best screened proof possible. I tested all the major systems for almost a year (EFI, BlackMagic, StarProof, Dupont Chromanet, Oris and gmg)

If you need more info get in touch with me next week as I will be away this week.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses