Q7 conflict with Q6?

Started by frailer, September 13, 2007, 09:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Anyone had any trouble, say, saving down to Q6.x, and the not able to place/link images, getting corrupted images, in Q6, even when Q7 is not open. Our designers have just upgraded, but need to save down for us while we install 7. Plug-ins conflict was mentioned as possibility, but that could be stab in the dark. Don't recall having problems with opening docs in Indy CS2, while Indy CS3 was installed, but not open. But then, I don't think they were .inx files, so...maybe. I guess "save-downs", by implication, are for those who don't have the higher version installed. So maybe it's a no-go opening save-downs with the higher version installed. ???
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

beermonster

i just made a file in 7, saved it, then saved as a v6 - opened it in v6 (with v7 still running) and it was fine mate

maybe the file is damaged somehow? whats the keystroke to repair when opening - jeez i forget that one....

do a little mac maintenance first, and to be honest the single biggest issue i have with quack 6 is fonts - so check your fonts are ok.
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

jezza

It's almost certainly your preferences file, quit both, delete each pref file and restart both, that should do it. If not then repeat but move the preferences inside the application folder before launching the other version of Quark, and do the same with that pref file
one sick prepress mofo

beermonster

OR IT COULD BE YOUR PREFERENCES....

ohh heck - caps lock ???

frailer

The person having the trouble lives in InhouseDesignerville, and you can't give the time without copping a swipe. Mac maintenance? WTF's that?!
Suspect we won't have too much grief at our end. Just fretting before the event, I guess.
Programs like Cocktail should be mandated by law...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

beermonster

maintenance - sorry - that was a typo - i meant use a hammer

desighners huh? tsk tsk

frailer

Quark continuing saga. Did the right thing and went for the "licensing" route with Q7. Quark, in desperation, have lowered the threshhold for licensing, below 5. Was told, "only diff is you get one disk, can't load both machines at same time". In reality, YOU HAVE TO HAVE TCP/IP NETWORKING SKILLS! Static IPs, Port scanning etc etc...Bullshit! You have to run a License Administrator app on a "server", plus recommended a back-up server as well. They can both be production Macs, doesn't matter. HO just forked out to bring in someone to make it all work [3 seats]; thereby blowing x2, at a guess, the paltry $270 they saved. So...if the "server" Mac goes down, [they DON'T have a backup server set up yet], all 3 Quacks cease to operate. Bewdiful!
I spat the dummy this morning, and am trying to send the "license" stuff back, and get 2 standalones. Haven't heard back yet. I don't think the guy at the retail end, [it's a place that supposedly should know], was aware of how it worked. Thought it was just a common install disk, feed in the numbers, and forget about it. NO! You are stuck with the Admin/network surveillance FOREVER! But then you guys in bigger places knew that anyway. So much for perceived savings.
Just sounding off after a shit day...

jezza

I have had my own days from hell because of the Quark license server. I know exactly how you feel frailer. Find your dummy, you'll feel better :) Alternatively have a pint or two, I know you deserve one after that
one sick prepress mofo

beermonster

i didnt know that mate

i install 2 at a time here (small place we are) and in previous bigger places all seats were individual as well - well - the one's I installed on anyway.

quark - it truely screws with your mind!

...and it still has the dcs problem....and the pdf problem....and the transparency problem....crock of....

frailer

BTW, tell me there's no connection. After I popped the License Admin disk in, dragged the PDF manual to the desktop, read it, freaked out, took 2 pink capsules and got that disk outa there ASAP....now I've got a stuffed up Q 6.52 postscript PPD thingame. telling me to dump prefs etc. Surely it's not coincidence. Haven't had time to restore proper PPD setup. Geez, I'm startin' to hallucinate now. Maybe the latest DSM Manual [Amer Psychiatric Diagnostic Manual], will have a new entry: Acute Quark Psychosis. Prime symptom: inability to see what is "transparently" obvious. haha  ;D
If I struggle with resetting my Quack print Dialogue, I'll come back. ::)

frailer

D'Oh! jezza's post above, re Prefs. It's bin a week! Brain scramble. Sorry, just run the file tree/sequence past me again, so I nail'em proper. Thanks guys!

frailer

I know it's a triple-up post, but please indulge me on this. Have just received early good news from Quack retailer. They are coming to the party on the return of "licensed" product. Say they will exchange for two separate boxes, with appropritae increase in cost...[who cares!]. They, Q tech support, initially told the retailers tech guy that for under 5 seats you could set up without the License Administrator running. They finally admitted this was not so. Don't even know their own product. Where does that leave us??
Yeah, beermonster, I'm sure you've got an answer for that one.
An occasion to crack a Grolsch, I reckon. :D :D :D

tele2002

Guys, come on..... it isn't difficult!

Hope your running QLA 4.1

Jezza all those problems you had were from the old QLA days when it was 'shit'

Also Preferences, god guys thats Quark 101, you always create the Preferences folder in the main Quark folder when you have more than one copy installed  ::)

Tele2002

jezza

I wasn't thinking QLA, thankfully I haven't had to deal with that PITA for ages. I was thinking of my testing days, and what testing days they were  ;D
one sick prepress mofo

frailer

Yeah well. I've enough to do without becoming a CIQLA. Certified Insane Quark Licence Administrator. BTW, the news is not good from down in InHouse DesignerLand, where they are running it. Who needs it fot 2-3 seats anyway. OK, for 6 or so upwards...you need to exercise some control there anyway. But in that inst. you'd have someone who was up to speed on QLA.