Adobe® Photoshop® CS6

Started by Joe, March 22, 2012, 10:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Tell the cheap bastards to buy PitStop for you. Not having PitStop for prepress is like a mechanic with no power/pneumatic tools.  :banghead:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

We really don't need it. Most of our junk runs on the copier now and I create 97% of our files so they are awesome & problem free.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

See, 97% of the stuff I run is junk, so it is a must have.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Earendil on April 18, 2012, 04:38:23 PMTell the cheap bastards to buy PitStop for you. Not having PitStop for prepress is like a mechanic with no power/pneumatic tools.  :banghead:

Word™
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Grimace

Quote from: Joe on April 18, 2012, 05:36:00 PM
Quote from: Earendil on April 18, 2012, 04:38:23 PMTell the cheap bastards to buy PitStop for you. Not having PitStop for prepress is like a mechanic with no power/pneumatic tools.  :banghead:

Word™

Oh, you bet I have Word! That is the only program our customers seem to own :shoots_self:

I have to choose my spending requests carefully. It took me 2 1/2 years to get a Platemaker in this joint! And they still act like they did us some kind of special favor. Never mind that it saves them $$$ every month. I was using film up until last May.
This new fangled Pitstop may not catch on, ya see. Let's wait another 5 years and see how it all pans out.

I surprised I was able to get them to upgrade to CS5.5!
Crap, I'm using a $60 imposition program! If I suggested an $800 program, their heads would spin!

andyfest

"Oh, you bet I have Word! That is the only program our customers seem to own :shoots_self:"

:lmao:

"I have to choose my spending requests carefully. It took me 2 1/2 years to get a Platemaker in this joint! And they still act like they did us some kind of special favor. Never mind that it saves them $$$ every month. I was using film up until last May."

That is, for the most part, industry-wide. Even if you can show a stunning ROI, most printing companies now will ignore your request. My own belief is that most ownership groups in the printing industry are cash-cowing their operations before the industry dies.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

frailer

Dumb question... we are facing a full CS6 upgrade, soon, correct?  Well, notwithstanding the outa sync Acrobat upgrade cycle.    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Quote from: frailer on April 28, 2012, 06:43:45 PMDumb question... we are facing a full CS6 upgrade, soon, correct?  Well, notwithstanding the outa sync Acrobat upgrade cycle.    :undecided:

Yes.

https://www.b4print.com/index.php?topic=6745.0

frailer

Just needed a 'yes'. We delayed getting CS5.5, so feel I've only just got comfy in the chair.  :shrug:  The question now is, do we wait until the 1st CS6 file we can't open? :shrug:  Maybe a Reagan neutron b*mb into Ad*be's HQ. Deal with the primates, leave current software intact.    :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Well, with their pricing structure, you're not going to save anything by waiting or skipping a version. Or half version. So you can either pay them sooner or pay them later. But you will pay them. :cry:

frailer

The only perceived benefits; costs stalled off for a while. Early bugs ironed out.    :undecided:  There's always the excitement awaiting that 1st CS6 job, as well.    :laugh:

StrutzinInc

What are your guys' thoughts on the Beta? My experiences (and most of the reviews I've read), highlight 6's ability to make a lot of things easier. One of my favorite tools is the quick selection tool that allows you to select areas with similar colors. Really the only thing it is missing is the ability to create an optimized image merge.

Corel allows you to combine two images and blend them despite different exposures, highlights, shadows, etc.

Sharing on Photoshop 6 is also pretty sweet because you can invite friends to join your gallery, leave comments, etc.

I find that a lot of programs try to reinvent the wheel with new versions, but my experiences with Photoshop 6 have been pretty good. 6 is amazing for novices, except for the fact that they have to switch between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements in order to accomplish many tasks, something that could easily be done in 5 with a little practice.

Photoshop 6 is incredibly powerful and the new options are not superficial but allow a variety of complex editing and a much more (in my opinion) user friendly interface.

Farabomb

My problem with adobe lies more in the people that think they must own the latest and greatest while still not even coming close to understanding and using the one they have to it's full potential. It's like driving a prius, it's the new neat thing to do so to be "current" and "different" they have to follow what the rest of the sheepole are doing.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

andyfest

Quote from: StrutzinInc on April 30, 2012, 05:02:09 PMWhat are your guys' thoughts on the Beta? My experiences (and most of the reviews I've read), highlight 6's ability to make a lot of things easier. One of my favorite tools is the quick selection tool that allows you to select areas with similar colors. Really the only thing it is missing is the ability to create an optimized image merge.

Corel allows you to combine two images and blend them despite different exposures, highlights, shadows, etc.

Sharing on Photoshop 6 is also pretty sweet because you can invite friends to join your gallery, leave comments, etc.

I find that a lot of programs try to reinvent the wheel with new versions, but my experiences with Photoshop 6 have been pretty good. 6 is amazing for novices, except for the fact that they have to switch between Photoshop and Photoshop Elements in order to accomplish many tasks, something that could easily be done in 5 with a little practice.

Photoshop 6 is incredibly powerful and the new options are not superficial but allow a variety of complex editing and a much more (in my opinion) user friendly interface.
Great stuff for dezingers, but usually not so great for prepress techs. I've never been a fan of planned obsolesence and Adobe is a leader in that field. When one plans to introduce new version updates every year, it's no surprise that the word "rip-off" comes to mind.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

t-pat

I spend so little time in photoshop that these  major reinventions send me for a spin. Also I don't agree with adding more blades to the already over bulky swiss army knife that is PS. It encourages tards to do EVERYTHING in PS - like for example, packaging. Fine if you're making pretty pictures but as far as actually getting usable and processable output, not so much.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait