Mac Photoshop CS6

Started by DigiCorn, July 09, 2013, 09:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: frailer on July 31, 2013, 01:55:03 AMHmmm... OK. I think life used to be simpler.  :undecided:  I need to research that in case I need to do it sometime.. booting into Recovery Partition, all that guff.

Turn on Mac. After the startup chime hold down COMMAND+R.

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/03/how-to-boot-into-os-x-lions-recovery-hd-partition/
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on July 30, 2013, 11:45:05 PMBut if your Mac came with the OS already installed and no DVD which they all do now-a-days then you have to re-install via the internet.
I think even on the Macs with the pre-installed OS there's a way to extract the hidden partition with the recovery image, and avoid he humongous DL, but I'd have to look around for it. I know when we we put Minis in at the Dead Shop I managed to dig into the Hidden partition, but that was 10.7 too.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

The thing about the hidden partition is that it does not contain the OS. You boot to the hidden partition and it downloads it from an Apple server somewhere. That partition I think is only like 200-500 mb and the OS install is 4 gb+.

I downloaded my copy of OS X 10.8 from the Apple store as a free upgrade when I bought my iMac that came with 10.7 on it. Then I burned that .dmg to a USB thumb drive. It has been handy to have as I've re-installed OS 10.8 four times since then.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on August 07, 2013, 09:54:20 PMThe thing about the hidden partition is that it does not contain the OS. You boot to the hidden partition and it downloads it from an Apple server somewhere. That partition I think is only like 200-500 mb and the OS install is 4 gb+.

I downloaded my copy of OS X 10.8 from the Apple store as a free upgrade when I bought my iMac that came with 10.7 on it. Then I burned that .dmg to a USB thumb drive. It has been handy to have as I've re-installed OS 10.8 four times since then.
I actually found the DMG from our Minis at the Dead Shop that has 10.7 on it - I wonder if I can use it to upgrade my MacBOok at home that's on 10.6.8. Hmmmm. :ninja:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

You can if the Macbook is an approved model.

Slappy

I may try, it's due for a  HD replacement anyway so I'll just order a kit from OWC and at least then I'll have the "old" HD with10.6.8 on it in case I have to nuke & pave the new one.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on August 15, 2013, 02:45:40 PMI may try, it's due for a  HD replacement anyway so I'll just order a kit from OWC and at least then I'll have the "old" HD with10.6.8 on it in case I have to nuke & pave the new one.

Get an SSD. It will be like you got a new computer. Seriously.

Slappy

I know, not sure I can justify the cost for a laptop I don't use for anything that intensive though. I'd really like a 13" Air - maybe Santa will bring me one!

gnubler

Isn't he an ex-member who lives in Western Australia? Why would he bring you a laptop?  :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on August 15, 2013, 04:37:21 PMIsn't he an ex-member who lives in Western Australia? Why would he bring you a laptop?  :laugh:

Actually he is still a member...and from NY. :tongue:

frailer

Quote from: Slappy on August 15, 2013, 03:53:41 PMI know, not sure I can justify the cost for a laptop I don't use for anything that intensive though. I'd really like a 13" Air - maybe Santa will bring me one!

Laptop--- no spinning HD---- immediate advantage. You do not have to have those 'oops, I shouldn't have put it down that hard' moments. I think they're dropping considerably in price, as well.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Slappy

Joe

DigiCorn

sheesh! I'd love to get a 1TB SSD, but at $1/gb I don't think my sphincter can stretch any further open.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

sure it can...  make it a cloud sphincter and charge a monthly fee to get in

:lmao:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca