PS and spot colors

Started by Farabomb, March 12, 2015, 10:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

For the back...since there is only the spot color couldn't you just save as a PDF from Photoshop, input into EVO and only output the cyan and remap it at output to PMS 662?

You could do something similar with the front by outputting a PSD of only the spot layers and another of the CMYK images. Then overlay the spot PSD and remap it to PMS 662 in Indy over the CMYK in Indy and output a new PDF. Or something like that. I haven't tried it but I think it is doable.

Your like me and try to fix everything. It's like a little piece of me dies if I have to KIB.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

Yea well DCurry is the savior on this one. I had a hole while a job was ripping and I took a look and it seemed perfect. Told the customer to hold on before getting raped for more money from the designer. Hopefully it will work.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

It also pisses me off that the natives I got were set up as a spot color job but the art wasn't correct.

This is not the only job that was like that today and it went through the designer and 2 prepress areas. Am I the only person that looks at files to make sure they are correct before sending them along?

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

yes, you are the only one...

and we thank you for your service.  :police:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

I call BS. I doubt anyone on this board just shovels files through to another printer.

DCS would not allow any file to not be perfect internal or external.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Last week, I had a client that looked offended because I had not read the content of their publication.

"What did you think about my article on (inane horseshit that I feel should be the topic of everyone's day)?"

"uuummmm.... I haven't had the chance to read that, yet"

"Really? Don't you look through files before sending them to press?"

'Well, ya... I look at colors and stuff but I can't actually read very well." ::)
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

I hate when customers ask my opinion about their design. Most of the time I can honestly say it would have looked better if you had a monkey fling poo at an artboard. But for some reason we have to be nice to designers and tell them how great it looks. :puke2:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Yep, that too. But this one thought I actually sit here and read through all the shit I print.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

swampymarsh

Quote from: Farabomb on March 12, 2015, 12:43:02 PMYea well DCurry is the savior on this one. I had a hole while a job was ripping and I took a look and it seemed perfect. Told the customer to hold on before getting raped for more money from the designer. Hopefully it will work.

Hopefully YOU could rape them for more money, instead of the "designer". Somebody should pay, yeah I know, but other printers do this for free, they have never had this problem at another printer (that print shop that went broke as they were not charging for corrections on print ready files and were undercutting everybody else, which is why you are now blessed with this work).

swampymarsh

Quote from: Joe on March 12, 2015, 01:27:15 PMI hate when customers ask my opinion about their design. Most of the time I can honestly say it would have looked better if you had a monkey fling poo at an artboard. But for some reason we have to be nice to designers and tell them how great it looks. :puke2:

Farabomb

I'm not looking to rape anyone on price. We will get paid for our work, may not be our full rate but all my time is chargeable. I get yelled at when I don't write down how long it takes. They always would rather me make it right than go back to the designer for some reason. I don't understand that, you paid good money for them to produce a proper product. Go back to them and tell them to make it right. I know, without that I wouldn't have a job as a digital alchemist but if I buy something I'd like it to work. Guess that's why I don't understand business.

I do have some good designers I work with that actually are concerned with doing things correctly. Most are useless monkeys with handi-wipes.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Made in Taiwan

How about this way: You create the spot color in PS first (using Joe's method), save it as a new file, then place the original file into InDesign. After you're done you place the new file with the spot color right on top of the original file and set it to overprint. But I don't know if it can work, I'll try later if I've time.

Edit: Cannot access your Dropbox (Error 404).
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

swampymarsh

Farabomb, glad to hear that your time/effort is not devalued and that you can charge for turd polishing. Not all can or do.

If the designer screwed it up the first time, they may not get it right the second time around and meanwhile your production schedule is probably not getting any longer, so it is better if you fix it as your company knows that it will work in the time left to produce the job.

People buy design from designers, they don't always know about or even get a workable file – but it looks great!

Farabomb

Well DCurry saved the day and it's going on next.  :banana:

I catch a lot of shit here and have a lot of pressure but I can't even get away with humility. I was talking to a customer yesterday and she called me an expert but I said no and the boss interjected saying, no I am. From him, that's an amazing compliment considering I'm normally the asshole. Might have something to do with the ton of work we have right now.

I actually made a designer loose her job. We have a customer that was farming out work to another designer. The customer knew there was a ton of work and didn't think the main designer could handle the workload. The files from the new designer were horrible. They were one of the "I'm the best" ones and won't listen to anything. I knew the issue and the solution before I even got the natives. The designer was sure it could not have been her as I'm the best.

Yup, you placed a 300 dpi image but at 250% making it low res. You're more of a moron because used a larger version of the same image on the cover (and both vector and .jpg images of the same damn logo, one 4c and one 1c K as it should be). A few talks with the customer later and I was told I won't ever have to worry about her files again. I felt a little bad but it's just less bullshit I have to deal with.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job