Best way to flatten a pdf ?

Started by Exploded, April 12, 2008, 06:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

almaink

LOL looks like someone actually likes Acrobat 8? I'm with Joe on this one tho, I'm almost ready to trash version 8 at work it's such an annoyance.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Joe

Quote from: almaink on April 14, 2008, 06:00:12 PMLOL looks like someone actually likes Acrobat 8? I'm with Joe on this one tho, I'm almost ready to trash version 8 at work it's such an annoyance.

I decided that tonight I would use Acro 8 all night and not open 7 no matter how bad it got. I'm half way through the shift right now and have only considered going into the store room and hanging myself a half dozen times or so. :cool:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: WharfRat on April 14, 2008, 05:32:05 AM[BTW, the Document Info on the original PDF showed PDF Creator as PhSh CS3. If I opened it in Acro Pro 7, PSP showed a big fat jpeg as the image,; not really editable!
-----
Yep - that is how it works.
That is one reason a Photoshop PDF should always have its extension changed to the proper ".pdp"
1 - the prepress will recognise it as a Photoshop file
2 - double clicking will open with Photoshop and not with Acrobat
3 - "Edit Original" in InDesign will open it in Photoshop and not Acrobat (where you can no editing)
I think this is very poor of Adobe not to automatically have Photoshop PDFs saved with the proper extension.
I wish they would create a "custom" extension for Illustrator PDFs - so all of the above would apply, as well.

MSD

Thanks WharfRat. Keep posting stuff like this! I changed the suffix to .pdp on a copy of the file, double-clicked and presto, opened in PhShCS3.
On less hurried examination, the things got more layers than a Viennese chocolate torte.   :rolleyes:

But a piece o' shite in Acrobat Pro/PitStop as a PDF. I'll be watching "PDF Creator" in Doc Properties more closely in future.   :cheesy:

Joe, am sorry to hear your experience with #8.  But remember, as someone wisecracked, [here, I think], it's Fisher-Price Acrobat! Looks like expectations have to be kept in line with its appearance. Another case of marketing/revenue overriding technical functionality. I've been able to avoid it so far, but will be dragged kicking and screaming soon, I suspect.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

I have Acrobat 6-8 loaded on my machine. Depending on the severity of the problems, I work in alternate versions. If it is just straight flattening, I use 8. If it requires a lot of rework, I use 7. I don't really know why I keep 6, but I can't bring myself to trash it just yet. I don't like 8 because it is too slow, flattening seems more stable however.
Member #285 - Civilian

Laurens

Is anyone actually surprised that bloated software is the best for flattening stuff?   :laugh:
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

DigiCorn

Talk about resurrecting the dead....

I have a proof pdf I have sent to the customer, and they are telling me stuff is missing. I look at the file and immediately recognize that it's because I have my overprint preview on, and the customer is in Acrobat Reader. I could explain how to preview it on their end, but they're too stupid to understand, so I need a pdf that shows what this damned thing looks like. I ended up taking a screen shot and saving it as a pdf to get it out quickly, because I couldn't figure out how to flatten it and show the correct image. See screenshot to see what I am dealing with (screenshot has overprint preview turned off - note the drop shadow on the bottom line of text disappears too)... Rasterizing it in Photoshop doesn't do the trick, and I don't have a RIP to rasterize it and save a pdf from, unless CWS can do it.

Other than my backwards ass hick screenshot, how else can I show the pdf so they see it properly on their end?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

There is a difference between overprint preview and transparency. Acrobat Reader does have a setting for overprint preview and Acrobat Reader can also view transparency fine as well. Are you sure they are using Acrobat Reader because what you are saying they see it is like they are viewing it either in their email software or a web browser or with Preview on the Mac? If you go ahead and apply the flattener in flattener preview does it look screwed up?

DigiCorn

It looks all hollowed out like in the screenshot, and all the drop shadows disappear. In Reader to view it correctly, the overprint preview has to be on, but like I said, I can't seem to convey this to the customer - and you know how that goes...  :vomit:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

andyfest

Reader does have an Overprint Preview option. I used to keep an email handy with screenshots that I could send to the CSRs for distribution to their clients when questions would come up.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

pspdfppdfxhd

Just yesterday I ran into this, spot 2 color Illustrator file, tried rasterizing it in photoshop but it didn't look the way it was supposed to look.

Had to import it into InDesign then export it out of Indesign as a jpeg, 300 dpi, cmyk, with the bleeds but you can't get the marks this way for some reason.

Had to reimport the jpeg back into inDesign and export with marks. (the salesman wants all his clients to see the trim marks.)

The client sees a pdf and would never know what kind it is, I tested it at the rip and it's ok.

Pain in the ass but it doesn't come up very often.

Skryber

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on January 15, 2019, 08:32:37 AMJust yesterday I ran into this, spot 2 color Illustrator file, tried rasterizing it in photoshop but it didn't look the way it was supposed to look.

Had to import it into InDesign then export it out of Indesign as a jpeg, 300 dpi, cmyk, with the bleeds but you can't get the marks this way for some reason.

Had to reimport the jpeg back into inDesign and export with marks. (the salesman wants all his clients to see the trim marks.)

The client sees a pdf and would never know what kind it is, I tested it at the rip and it's ok.

I almost always do it this way. 90% of the time I'm dealing with transparency and I have to be careful to change the transparency blend space to RGB before outputting a jpg.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

DigiCorn

Quote from: andyfest on January 14, 2019, 07:05:10 PMReader does have an Overprint Preview option. I used to keep an email handy with screenshots that I could send to the CSRs for distribution to their clients when questions would come up.
Again.... dealing with a guy with an IQ just above plant life.

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on January 15, 2019, 08:32:37 AMJust yesterday I ran into this, spot 2 color Illustrator file, tried rasterizing it in photoshop but it didn't look the way it was supposed to look.

It didn't work for this job. Still drops out and appears hollow. :shoots_self:

[edit] Follow-up. The screenshot worked fine, and the job got approved and is in production.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

born2print

Yeah, I do the screenshot method too.
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Joe

I'll be damned if I would have done a screen grab. I would taken a picture of the monitor with my cell phone and then printed it out and faxed it to him.

David

Joe, you have to put it in Excel first, then place it in MSWord...
or Powerpoint, both work equally as well.

Thanks!

:shoots_self:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca