Out of memory error opening file

Started by delooch, January 09, 2013, 03:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

Running windows XP/ Adobe CS4/ 4GB ram..

suddenly im getting out of memory errors trying to open tiff files in photoshop. file size is about 19MB, even tried to open after a fresh reboot.  this isnt the first time editing these files, but today they just dont open.

ideas??

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

born2print

Have to open to save, duh!  :rolleyes:
does the PC acknowledge it's memory? DIMM popped out or went bad?

My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

delooch

puzzled by this one.

dont think the dimms are bad, everything else is working fine, but i know that doesnt mean much anymore..

-i just scanned and edited some of these yesterday, no trouble opening/editing

-opened the files on another pc running cs2 and 1gb ram just fine. i reduced & resaved them, and now they work again, but the originals give me the OOM error instantly.  :huh:

im just gonna use whats working, this is a freebee job anyway.

Joe

Quote from: delooch on January 09, 2013, 03:23:53 PMRunning windows XP/ Adobe CS4/ 4GB ram..

suddenly im getting out of memory errors trying to open tiff files in photoshop. file size is about 19MB, even tried to open after a fresh reboot.  this isnt the first time editing these files, but today they just dont open.

ideas??

How much free disk space ya got?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

born2print

Quote from: delooch on January 09, 2013, 04:03:56 PMpuzzled by this one.

dont think the dimms are bad, everything else is working fine, but i know that doesnt mean much anymore..

-i just scanned and edited some of these yesterday, no trouble opening/editing

-opened the files on another pc running cs2 and 1gb ram just fine. i reduced & resaved them, and now they work again, but the originals give me the OOM error instantly.  :huh:

im just gonna use whats working, this is a freebee job anyway.
Still curious. Were they 8bit?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

delooch

they were 8 bit rgb scans (pulled from Fiery remote scan).. crappy, but thats what we got.

got 2 hdd setup as scratch, C: has 125gb free and D: has 68 GB free.

the box has 4GB of ram, but windows only sees 3.25 gb for whatever reason. never really had any performance issues with the thing, other than trying to digest bloated artwork files.

i just didnt want to rescan the damn book, its from 1936 and i already cracked 2 pages.

im thinking maybe something funny in the tiff file from the Fiery, but the other pc had no issue.

Joe

Have you tried rebooting the PC that is getting the errors?

delooch

Quote from: Joe on January 09, 2013, 04:14:40 PMHave you tried rebooting the PC that is getting the errors?

yeah, tried rebooting, even a memory scrubber app.. no luck. i got the files in a usable state now, i just want to know WTF is wrong with my installation.  may be time for a re-image, its been alomst 2 years on the same install, which is a record for me.

Joe

You could try deleting prefs for Photoshop. I think holding down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT while starting Photoshop will do that. (Or something close to that key combo)

delooch

Quote from: Joe on January 09, 2013, 04:20:11 PMYou could try deleting prefs for Photoshop. I think holding down CTRL+ALT+SHIFT while starting Photoshop will do that. (Or something close to that key combo)

ill give that a try, i was looking for a "reset preferences" button somewhere in there..

Greg_Firestone

When was the last time you did a disk defrag? Might help in general with performance.

Greg