Epson 7000 woes

Started by Joe, September 20, 2007, 01:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Epson Stylus Pro 7000 prints random characters instead of images. It's got a lot of miles on it but we still like doing our glossy contract proofs on it. Is there any hope without spending more on it than it's worth? Any ideas on the cause of it?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Sparky

Joe a little more info would help. Kind of work flow type of RIP and versions of said same. have you been staying on top of calibrations and upgrading to the latest versions?

just need to know.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

Joe

Hi Sparky, We're using Best Color RIP and yes, it is calibrated. We're on the last version of Best Color made. They don't make it anymore since EFI bought them out. Problem is that it won't even print a page of text from the printer control panel so printing from Best Color is definitely out of the question.

Sparky

Sorry for the late reply Joe. The info threw me for a loop. Random characters sounds like a PostScript problem. If it's an older printer the ps version my not be able to handle the current files if they are ps vs 3. I've sat and watched 124 pages of random garbled characters feed out of our HP printer once when that was the case. If the printer can except it I would see about upgrading to the latest p.s. version and checking the compatibility of the RIP and the printer. Though I believe EFI will probably want to have you $pend $$$$ on "their" recommended upgrades.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

Joe

Thanks for the reply Sparky. I actually got in touch with Epson support. They say the main board is bad. About $600 for the board plus labor. The printer is not worth that kind of money.

kermit

Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2007, 12:19:54 AMThanks for the reply Sparky. I actually got in touch with Epson support. They say the main board is bad. About $600 for the board plus labor. The printer is not worth that kind of money.
For less than 2K you can get new EPson 4880
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

Joe

Quote from: kermit on October 28, 2007, 08:29:37 AM
Quote from: Joe on October 26, 2007, 12:19:54 AMThanks for the reply Sparky. I actually got in touch with Epson support. They say the main board is bad. About $600 for the board plus labor. The printer is not worth that kind of money.
For less than 2K you can get new EPson 4880

Have to have a printer, that at the very least, prints 24" wide.