One computer controlling 2 Konicas

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, March 11, 2024, 09:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

We're having a lot of problems with pdfs these days on our Konica printers.

They are both on Windows 7, one has an older fiery rip and the other one only has a controller, no rip.

Has anyone ever used one computer (with an updated rip) to send jobs to more than one printer? I know with CWS you can add many printers if they have a rip. We do have fiery XF server running for our epson and I can connect to that and also the Konica that has a rip. 

Am I whistling dixie here?

David

We use This

Ours currently prints to 3 HP Inkjets and 2 OCE Flatbeds
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Possum

I used to send jobs to two different Xerox models and a Xante envelope printer, and we were running Windows 8, if IIRC. No really sophisticated jobs, though.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

jwheeler

We have 5 Konica's in our shop. When you say one has a fiery controller and the other one has only a controller, do you mean it has the KM controller? Assuming you mean the built-in KM controller, you won't be able to send to that printer from Fiery, you have to use either JobCentro or the web browser access depending on the model. Job Centro is KM's equivalent to Fiery Command Workstation. Alternatively, you can send to either printer directly from Acrobat, though the preferred method is to drop directly into CWS or Job Centro. This allows you to take advantage of APPE.

DigiCorn

What kind of printers?

For EFIColor/FieryXF you can have multiple proofers, but different sizes require different licenses (M, L, XL, etc.) and I don't recall if each proofer needs a license or if you just need a license for the size proofer and can have multiple of the same size.

Yes, CWS requires a RIP for each digital press, but you can add as many as you like. We ran 3 Xeroxes that way.

If they are just laser printers, you can just add them direct. If they have special features, make sure you have the correct driver.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

pspdfppdfxhd

C1080 and 6500, both Bizhubs. The 1080 has a rip, quite old though. The 6500 uses Job Centro. Not really a rip, fiery does not recognize it.

Ear

We have 3 Konica Accurio presses (2 @ C3080s and 1 @ C4070), each with its own Windows Fiery server but have had a computer go down and use another command workstation to prep and send. It works but wouldn't want to do full daily production that way. We are using current Windows masheens with solid state drives, but would probably give you some headaches sending to to printers at once, with an older computer.

We never print from workstations but send PDFs to hot folders for the specific printer, then prep using CMD Workstation 6.5.x. I run them in APPE mode mostly and rarely use .ps anymore.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

jwheeler

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on March 11, 2024, 03:25:57 PMThe 6500 uses Job Centro.
That's the issue. It does have a RIP, it's just KM's own proprietary RIP/controller. You won't be able to send to this machine with Fiery. I'm surprised you have a functioning C6500 though! Those machines are ancient. I used to sell production gear for KM and those C6500 and C6500 were considered end-of-life around 10 years ago. You might get lucky and find a Fiery controller for  your C6500 on ebay or elsewhere if you really want that capability.

pspdfppdfxhd

Soooo... i took a shot in the dark and contacted Xitron, the maker of our Harlequin CTP rip to see if the rip could rip up the jobs and and dump them into the Konicas somehow and they tell me it can be done. NOTE: I contacted their SALES department so all may be suspect. I will call them tomorrow. The harlequin rip is having no ripping issues with newer pdfs at this point. It is pretty up to date.

pspdfppdfxhd

Sometimes, lately, i have had to rip pdfs in photoshop then save them as pdfs to get them through the Konicas, same principle perhaps?

DigiCorn

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on March 13, 2024, 03:50:37 PMSometimes, lately, i have had to rip pdfs in photoshop then save them as pdfs to get them through the Konicas, same principle perhaps?
Yes. PhotoShop RASTERIZES images if this is your first day.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on March 13, 2024, 03:50:37 PMSometimes, lately, i have had to rip ruin pdfs in photoshop then save them as pdfs to get them through the Konicas, same principle perhaps?
Fixed
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

scottrsimons

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on March 13, 2024, 03:46:17 PMSoooo... i took a shot in the dark and contacted Xitron, the maker of our Harlequin CTP rip to see if the rip could rip up the jobs and and dump them into the Konicas somehow and they tell me it can be done. NOTE: I contacted their SALES department so all may be suspect. I will call them tomorrow. The harlequin rip is having no ripping issues with newer pdfs at this point. It is pretty up to date.
Here's a support article from Xitron's support forum. You could find other helpful articles there too.

Navigator DFE Supported Devices

Spoiler
Navigator DFE, based on the Harlequin Core RIP, supports these devices:

Memjet Duraflex
HP FI-1000
Memjet Northstar
Memjet Sirius
Memjet VersaPass
Memjet DuraLink
We also drive printers made from most industry printheads through printhead drive electronics from our sister company, Meteor Inkjet.
e.g.  [color=rgb(var(--color_13))]Dimatix, Epson, Konica Minolta, Kyocera, Ricoh, SII, Toshiba, Xaar, and Xerox.[/color]

Xitron RIPs support many more devices in various print markets.  The lists of supported devices can be found here:

Inkjet Printers

Computer to Plate (CTP)

Inkjet to Film

Inkjet Proofers

[close]
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

pspdfppdfxhd

Interesting, thanks. When I have a slowdown in the action here I will give them a call. My first reaction was it was only for Inkjets but I could be wrong.

jwheeler

Quote from: pspdfppdfxhd on March 13, 2024, 03:50:37 PMSometimes, lately, i have had to rip pdfs in photoshop then save them as pdfs to get them through the Konicas, same principle perhaps?
You can save a step by selecting "Print as Image" when printing from Acrobat. Click on "Advanced" in the print dialogue, the check "Print as Image". In some versions, there is also a drop down next to that check box to select the resolution. This flattens the image and rasterizes everything, including the text, all in one step.