Acrobat excessive RAM usage

Started by DPSprint, October 04, 2017, 12:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DPSprint

acrobat Pro DC and Pitstop pro 17

Joe

Same as mine. I just don't know how I got so lucky. :tongue:

Ear

Holy crap, DPS.. that's crazy! I haven't seen mine go that high. 

I know Acrobat/Pitstop will crash if you don't cmd+opt+j when you open it... wonder if that has anything to do with it?
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DPSprint

nope, the cmd+opt+j  is standard practice for me every time I open pitstop/acrobat now.... and I am well practiced many times a day.

...and you guys are lucky! LOL

Seems to be just a few of us with the same issue so far. Sometimes I know they test out new things on the smaller countries before releasing into the larger ones, Im wondering if that is the case, but I dont know where the others affected are from.
Though they must know about it by now cos those few of us have been complaining!

Joe

Quote from: DPSprint on October 05, 2017, 12:44:24 PMnope, the cmd+opt+j  is standard practice for me every time I open pitstop/acrobat now.... and I am well practiced many times a day.

...and you guys are lucky! LOL

Seems to be just a few of us with the same issue so far. Sometimes I know they test out new things on the smaller countries before releasing into the larger ones, Im wondering if that is the case, but I dont know where the others affected are from.
Though they must know about it by now cos those few of us have been complaining!

Maybe it is just those in the South Pacific that are affected. Frailer can't even download CC. :rotf:

DPSprint

lol yeah, poor frailer, he doesnt even know yet what he is missing!

Ear

Spit-ballin' here but I read that there is a memory leak problem in Acrobat DC involving Sandbox, under Protected mode, in Security (Enhanced), Acrobat Prefs. Might not relate to your memory problem but it can't hurt to turn off Enhanced Security and see if it stops.

• Problem: REGRESSION: Reader/Acrobat: With Protected View ON: Out of memory message prompts when open a particular PDF file.[3929632]
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

... you can also select the Acrobat process, in activity monitor and inspect it. You can see there how much real memory vs virtual memory it is using. As I understand it, Sandbox has something to do with file direction and virtual memory handling. My thought being, protected mode might be a bottleneck, causing a huge RAM load.

Ear

I also delete all the HP files. The HP print drivers, in the library, have all sorts of little snooper programs. Start viewing Open Files and Ports on active processes and you see the stinkin' hpProductResearch, and other such nosey little bugs poking around everywhere. Might be placebo but everything feels faster with the hp stuff gone. Took some digging to get rid of too... shit wanted to install and run from .trash, FFS. 

Joe

Quote from: Ear on October 05, 2017, 01:52:55 PMSpit-ballin' here but I read that there is a memory leak problem in Acrobat DC involving Sandbox, under Protected mode, in Security (Enhanced), Acrobat Prefs. Might not relate to your memory problem but it can't hurt to turn off Enhanced Security and see if it stops.

• Problem: REGRESSION: Reader/Acrobat: With Protected View ON: Out of memory message prompts when open a particular PDF file.[3929632]

That is interesting. My "Enable Enhanced Security" is checked and I'm not having the memory issue. Well other than the memory loss in my brain.

Ear

Mine too, but I did notice it using a ton of virtual memory, for not much tasking. I turned mine off and will keep an eye on it. Just because we haven't been plagued with it doesn't mean we don't have memory leaks... maybe our system is just handling it a little better. Imma keep an eye on this

DPSprint

Quote from: Ear on October 05, 2017, 01:52:55 PMSpit-ballin' here but I read that there is a memory leak problem in Acrobat DC involving Sandbox, under Protected mode, in Security (Enhanced), Acrobat Prefs. Might not relate to your memory problem but it can't hurt to turn off Enhanced Security and see if it stops.

mIne is on too, will turn it off and see if it continues ;-)

I cant see any HP files on the list.

Ear

I have been watching mine, with it off and have noticed little difference, but I wasn't having problems... that I was aware of. LOL

I suspect my HP files came from when I helped the boss troubleshoot a little office printer. But still, installer beware.

Joe

OS X ships about eleventy trillion HP drivers in its installer. They really shouldn't be doing anything other than wasting disk space if you aren't using them.