Converting color objects to greyscale inside indesign

Started by delooch, December 26, 2018, 04:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delooch

Is there an easy way of converting an object to grayscale inside of indesign?  Say i have a 2 page doc, logos on both pages, the 2nd page prints in color but they want the placed logos to show up gray.  I dont want to create a separate grayscale logo and place it, im sooooo lazy, and theres a ton of them, i just want to apply an effect to the already existing color logo.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

I figured it was going to be an effect overlay like that.  That method will works.. Although transparent areas turn up black, easily fixable by putting a white (or paper) filled object behind all the objects. This does the the trick..

In illustrator you can just rasterize the graphic by dpi and colorspace, still a sin but an effective one.

Thanks Joe!

mc hristel

Are you running the output through a RIP? You should be able to tell it to convert to gray at that stage rather than messing with it in InDesign.

delooch

its the 2nd page of a variable data project. the whole page needs to remain color, there are some color objects at the top of the page, they just want the logos to print in gray.  yeah, i dont know why but thats what they want.  I just didnt want to dick around grayscaling 30 logos in PS and placing them back. 

sometimes i take some shortcuts that would horrify all of you.  i try to be technically accurate and pristine on the files i send out to other printers, but some of the in-house work just runs through the rip as a polished turd, i have no remorse.

DigiCorn

Also, if you rip a PDF, you can use the Acrobat selection tool to draw a box around the objects you want to affect, right-click and choose "edit." Raster items will open as a group in their native app and you can edit them and then click "save." to re-insert them automatically back to the PDF. Make sure you have ALL the items you want to edit selected and NONE of the ones you don't want to change.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

StudioMonkey

We do a lot of NCR where the PDF A/W is the same but the 2nd copy needs to be B/W.  We found that our RIP will convert most things, but not embedded vector art with spot colours.  I use the overlay method - works pretty well.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Kermy812

delooch

That plugin should be an inD "feature". I guess they have their reasons.
I used the overlay method, it worked perfect.

Slappy

Quote from: Kermy812 on January 22, 2019, 11:10:18 AMI cant vouch for it, but I came across this site a while back that has a indd plugin:
https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/indesign-downloads/color2gray/
Ahhhh, I forget about his Plugins! He does some genuinely cool things, I'd be curious about that Color2Gray and which Grayscale conversion it uses under the hood and if it can be tweaked.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

Kermy812

Slappy - Don't want to derail here, but his SwatchWatch is awesome too!
You can use it to print out on an entire Pantone Library of you wanted:
https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/swatchwatcher-case-study/

Slappy

Oh, now that's cool! I just had to make a stupid swatch test for a client who can't understand Pantones on press vs. iGen too. I may try this with the same test swatches, I bet it'll look a lot more professional at least. Thx man!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

wonderings

I am anal about this and always go through each logo and covert to CMYK from RGB or to grayscale as needed. If I was going to do it a "quick" way you could export your PDF for print, then using preflight in acrobat and convert to grayscale, save as a grayscale version. Then just merge the files so you have colour on one side and grayscale on the other.

AaronH

You could do a batch action list in Photoshop CC. You'd technically still have to do it in photoshop, but you could make an action to convert to gray, even adjust levels if you needed to, then save as, and then close. Then you can choose batch under File > Automate > Batch.
Mac & Windows | XMF | Fiery | Oris