Standard Prepress Duties vs a Packaging Prepress person

Started by LoganBlade, July 07, 2011, 07:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

NefariousDrO

A few months ago I interviewed with a packaging company in Pittsburgh, and their biggest concern was my knowledge of trapping techniques. They actually sent me a Illustrator file and had me manually trap it. The thing was really complex, in terms of number of inks, layering of those inks, and the highly detailed specifications they had for the trapping. I'd always been in offset printing, and considered myself pretty decent at it until that test. From that experience I suspect that is the real big issue for prepress people making the transition to packaging. Now that I'm working for a Label-producer I'm learning how to deal with opaque white layers, allowing some things to trap and other to not trap, etc. There definitely are differences, but if you've worked for a few years in offset it's nothing that can't be learned, although I'm finding that it takes several months to really get a good feel for the differences.

andyfest

On some carton jobs we use the trapping module in Nexus, but for most jobs manual trapping is necessary to get everything trapping perfectly. It's good to hear we aren't the only ones in the packaging industry still doing some trapping the old-fashioned way.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

t-pat

we just get all crazy in the coconut with custom densities in the color database in Prinergy to get things to trap. Lots of our packaging work requires 2 hits of the same pms, big flood coats and whatnot. Can be interesting.
vdp donkey

David

I remember messing with the color densities with Scitex years ago to fudge the trapping. ton's o' fun

With Esko it's way easier to custom trap stuff, rich blacks with pull backs, opaque whites, metallic's, etc. We also have to be careful with the ink lay down order as well. Sometimes the metallic's go down first, sometimes second.

Our pressroom is special...         :sarcasm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: david on July 08, 2011, 02:10:10 PMI remember messing with the color densities with Scitex years ago to fudge the trapping. ton's o' fun

With Esko it's way easier to custom trap stuff, rich blacks with pull backs, opaque whites, metallic's, etc. We also have to be careful with the ink lay down order as well. Sometimes the metallic's go down first, sometimes second.

Our pressroom is special...         :sarcasm:

yeah, doesn't matter what order it *should* go down here, it's whatever is easier for the pressman. We rerun stuff "fixed" to get around that issue. You'd think putting down the black last would be SOP but noooo, and gee, black that overprints metallics only works if you put it down last.
vdp donkey

David

Quote from: tpatterson on July 08, 2011, 02:12:58 PM...and gee, black that overprints metallics only works if you put it down last.

really, I wonder if my press room knows this.      :sarcasm:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

NefariousDrO

I'm glad to see the prepress vs pressmen climate remains as it's always been. I've always felt as if the Pressmen are so used to being catered to they think we can fix anything they don't want to deal with.

t-pat

Quote from: NefariousDrO on July 08, 2011, 04:40:47 PMI'm glad to see the prepress vs pressmen climate remains as it's always been. I've always felt as if the Pressmen are so used to being catered to they think we can fix anything they don't want to deal with.

can't unprint it.

can't fix stupid.

I mean, FFS it's called OVERprint for a reason, and it's not called UNDERprint for the same reason. :mrt:
vdp donkey

beermonster

back in my packaging days......(long boring speech here) - trapping is mental - sure there's auto traps but carton board can go wild so manual traps were better by far. visualizing, accurate proofing, mock-ups, cutters, traps, embosses, varnishes, double hits, screen underpins - all the good stuff really goes on. especially after say a lil ol million run you find an error..........

i'd say ANY decent prepresser can do packaging  - there's the tricky stuff to pick up but fukkit it's all just another colour or layer - it's just learnin how to handle it. the same shit comes in from desighners with the same errors and shit to fix.

i'd say just about anyone on here would pick it up just fine - ceptin me - i got out and into "other" print stuff :)
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

rickself

Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread.
I have 25 years in prepress and just began a job with a packaging/carton company in April. Aside from getting to know the multitude of dies that we have, it's still prepress. All of our die layouts come from another packaging house and the dies are made from one of two die houses out of state. We just put in a Komori L640 and I've been able to set up my (as in ME, the ONLY one) prepress department the way I want it, errr, within budget anyways.

But back to the OP, packaging isn't a lot different than traditional prepress, other than more stable. Packaging will always be around. Coffeetable books are hard to come by anymore, hence the closure of many big print shops. We produce close to 1 million cartons a month and when nearby traditional printers might be scheduled out a week, we're scheduled out 3 or 4 weeks. Job security at age 55 is nice to have.
Rick Self, Prepress Oldie
Mac Mini M1   G5 Quad-Core Intel Sierra  HP DesignJet Z6 44in   RICOH Pro C5200S
Fiery BCE5  Xitron Navigator v.13   Screen 8000II   Azura Plates   Komori L640