5 Gallon bucket

Started by beck, November 06, 2013, 04:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beck

I have a packaging problem that I'm having trouble with.

I'm working on a project that I need a template for a label that will fit a 5 Gallon bucket.  They want it to wrap around the entire bucket.  I made a straight "Banner", but it didn't lay flat. 
I'm guessing I need to do some sort of warp in Illustrator, maybe?  :homer:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

born2print

Quote from: beck  on November 06, 2013, 04:13:59 PMI have a packaging problem that I'm having trouble with.

I'm working on a project that I need a template for a label that will fit a 5 Gallon bucket.  They want it to wrap around the entire bucket.  I made a straight "Banner", but it didn't lay flat. 
I'm guessing I need to do some sort of warp in Illustrator, maybe?  :homer:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

beck
I can tell you that not all 5 gal. buckets are the same shape, you may want to take measurements on an actual sample if available?
My lips are moving and the sound's coming out
The words are audible but I have my doubts
That you realize what has been said

born2print

then your final piece will be an arched rectangle, like a big smile.

...or frown  :cheesy:

born2print

"You'll need to cut a sort of arch thing you have in the picture.  It will have to be 31.42" on the top 23.95" on the bottom (pi times diameters).  (These come out to about 2' 7 7/16" and 1' 11 46/48" respectively.)  These curves will need to be spaced by the height of the bucket.  ("Height" in this case means the distance between the two diameters, not how far the top of the bucket is from the ground.)"

source:
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Geometry-2060/2009/6/Wrap-Around-Bucket.htm

beck

That's ALMOST what I did...

I had the two circumferences measured, but I didn't do the arch...it was a Trapezoid or parallelogram?  (it's been a while since High School Geometry)

I do have the bucket.  Any idea on how to gauge the amount of the arch?  Or just trial & error?

I do cartons all day long, but these round things are a bitch!

Thanks, Born.

beck
Joe

DigiCorn

Trapezoid. On a Parallelogram, both sets of sides are parallel lines. On a trapezoid only one set runs parallel.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Grimace

Quote from: beck  on November 06, 2013, 08:41:21 PMThat's ALMOST what I did...

I had the two circumferences measured, but I didn't do the arch...it was a Trapezoid or parallelogram?  (it's been a while since High School Geometry)

I do have the bucket.  Any idea on how to gauge the amount of the arch?  Or just trial & error?

I do cartons all day long, but these round things are a bitch!

Thanks, Born.

beck
I would think it would have to do with the difference between the 2 circumferences. Maybe the percentage of change, use Illy's Arch Effect and type in the percentage of the difference, so something like -.5% (totally made up number.

gnubler

Does this involve math? I'm out!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Skryber

Make a dummy and adjust until it's perfecto.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

beck

Quote from: Skryber on November 07, 2013, 01:28:38 PMMake a dummy and adjust until it's perfecto.

I tried the "Math Route" on Born's advice...worked like crap.

Then I did the "Dummy" route...worked a lot better.

I built a rectangle, then used Object > Envelope Distort > Arch.  I used 5%.  It worked OK, with some trimming on the top & bottom.  I was monkeying with it all day, and I could see I'd never hit it dead nuts.  So I just made the label larger, allowing for trim.

Thanks for the ideas.

beck
Joe

born2print

:cool:
Not to overstate the obvious, but my thought is just distort the diestrike, then place the art without any distortion?