12pg Impo got me like Huh??

Started by Slappy, December 18, 2017, 09:44:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slappy

I know we did these in training & it made perfect sense, now I'm hitting a wall. Basic 8.5x11 12pg  layout, on 19x25. When I start my impo, I do an 8pg, then Copy the Impo & Flow/Automatically Group in the 4pg & make it a W&T but it's changing the orig 8pg SW to a W&T also.

I tried starting it as a SW, then adding the W&T and it still changing ALL the Sigs when I do that.  :banghead:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

When you have a mix of SW & WT you have to use Stripping sheet templates
your stripping sheet template has to be the way you want it before, don't think
you can edit too much after the fact.

or you can use pagination mode which uses stripping sheets also.

Ear

It has a W&T mode but I don't like it as well as just using Flat Work. 

Make your 8pg, flow pages... modify the intended 4 pg form to Flat Work. Then Repaginate just that form to 1,2,3,4. IF you have Saddle Stitch chosen for binding style, it will know to reassign the proper pages to create the 12 form the base 8 & 4. You'll have 1 Sheetwise and one Flat (W&T) form. I do this weekly for my sheetfed.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Ear

Here's a couple of screenshots. You can see I have the 4pg paginated as 1-4, but it knows to change it to 5-8. The other shots are showing one being sheetwise and one flatwork.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Slappy

I must be dumb, can NOT get this to work that way. I managed to get a Layout with the single SW and W&T, everything runs correctly. But the W&T wasn't showing crops util I messed with the Clipping Margins & Position a little.

I'll try it your way when I get a chance, it should be a lot simpler. Thanks!
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Tracy

need to uncheck avoid overlap for the WT or check auto margins?

Slappy

Heh, when I did that - ALL the crops & slug info ran into each other!  :o

The way it handles some page content placement is confusing as hell.

Ear

Yeah, you will need to treat that flat sig as flat (marks, etc...), aside from pagination.

The earlier versions of XMF did odd things on the W&T mode, so I went with my old-school flatwork approach, like on the light table. Now I have a bunch of templates this way and don't feel like switching it over, if they have got the WT thing straightened out... and I like having control over the whole sheet. It handles W&T as one side of the sheet, with the other half being mirrored and having auto back-side numbering.

The other side of this is: it is good manual stripping practice. I embrace the big crazy ones, because it keeps me sharp on the workflow. Too many stock templates and you can get lazy... which can make you miss other details.

Tracy

I do most of my WT & WR Flat too!
occasionally not.

Ear

Well there you have it. If Tracy works in Flat Mode, it's golden.

Tracy

I don't like the WT - It's more work, but occasionally I'm forced to.

Joe

WnT is more work? How could it get any simpler than WnT?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Tracy

In XMF it's more steps and you got to input your position 
it really is a pain in the butt!! I guess cuz were spoiled :laugh:

Farabomb

Quote from: Joe on December 18, 2017, 03:12:58 PMWnT is more work? How could it get any simpler than WnT?
Single sided.  :angel:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Basically the same for prepress. WnT is just more work for the press guys. And who cares about them? :rotf:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.