News:

Main Menu

New home Mac

Started by G_Town, March 17, 2021, 12:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on March 18, 2021, 08:43:46 AM
Yours can go up to 128 GB for a mere $629.99.

MacSales

What would you consider the minimum amount of Ram?

born2print

My work Mac - Mac Pro trashcan
16GB
seems to be enough nowadays... just shoveling pdfs most of the time anymore
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

I have 16 gb on my work mac, wish I had more, but it works fine... maybe a little slow sometimes.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

If I was going with a new one for home I'd go 32 GB if you are doing heavy lifting. 16 is more than enough for web and email.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I'll have to look into AppleCare... my kid had a 15 moth old iPad go belly up (4013 error) and couldn't be wiped or restored. I took it for repair, and it was a board level issue, so I ended up buying a new one, but I still have this 7th gen basically new iPad I don't know what to do with.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

What exactly is it doing or not doing? I have a friend that had one that would power on but nothing on the display. Googled that and came up with several of the same solution which was to drop it display up on a carpeted floor until the display came back on. I tried it and dropped it several times and it voila it came on about the 5th time. If you try that just make sure it lands flat and not on a corner. That iPad is still being used and that was about 5 years ago.

DigiCorn

When it boots up, it either goes into a loop where it shows the apple logo, and then reboots. If it doesn't do that, then it shows the weblink for support and tells you to hook it up to a computer for restore. I've connected it to n older imac on malibu, a new macbook running big sur, and a windows 10 with the latest itunes build and on all it goes through the process, and then says 4013 error, which basically says try again or with a new cable. I've done it dozens of time, and so did the shop I dropped it off at. They said it's a board issue repair now.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

motormount

Quote from: Joe on March 27, 2021, 07:54:54 AM
What exactly is it doing or not doing? I have a friend that had one that would power on but nothing on the display. Googled that and came up with several of the same solution which was to drop it display up on a carpeted floor until the display came back on. I tried it and dropped it several times and it voila it came on about the 5th time. If you try that just make sure it lands flat and not on a corner. That iPad is still being used and that was about 5 years ago.

( close enough) old school practices that work, real old school was to kick it, but that should work on a macpro i suppose.... :rotf:

Joe

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 28, 2021, 12:17:39 AM
When it boots up, it either goes into a loop where it shows the apple logo, and then reboots. If it doesn't do that, then it shows the weblink for support and tells you to hook it up to a computer for restore. I've connected it to n older imac on malibu, a new macbook running big sur, and a windows 10 with the latest itunes build and on all it goes through the process, and then says 4013 error, which basically says try again or with a new cable. I've done it dozens of time, and so did the shop I dropped it off at. They said it's a board issue repair now.

OK that is different than the issue with the one in my example. It was a display issue and if you are seeing the Apple logo you do not have a display issue.

Most places you take it to....when they can't figure it out blame it on hardware that should be replaced. Most of the time they are wrong.

Have you tried a hard reset?

QuoteHow to Hard Reset an iPad

If your iPad is frozen, preventing you from unlocking it with your passcode, or if it doesn't recognize your taps or the slider doesn't work, a hard reset/hard reboot of your iPad will often do the trick. This forces the iPad to turn off and on, flushing its memory clean. A hard reset, however, does not delete your data.

Press the Home button and the On/Off button at the same time. Keep holding the buttons down until after the screen turns black and the iPad starts up again. When the Apple logo appears on the screen, release the buttons.

You should now be able to access the iPad, provided you know the passcode. If you still need to erase the data and restore it to factory settings, you can do that with iTunes or from the iPad settings.

DigiCorn

yes, on the hard reset. but it doesn't change anything.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

G_Town

Quote from: Joe on March 17, 2021, 01:47:07 PM
Quote from: G_Town on March 17, 2021, 01:41:32 PM
Yikes!

Finally debt free, my wife would shit a brick.

:lmao:

That is actually a pretty good deal for the latest new model of the 27" iMac.

Pick it up on the way home Friday.

Skryber

Now......add memory.  :evil:
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

G_Town

Quote from: Skryber on April 12, 2021, 02:11:18 PM
Now......add memory.  :evil:

Yea gonna take a while to build back up my savings.