Generating JDF for MBO folder

Started by PrepressCrapFixer, July 20, 2022, 08:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrepressCrapFixer

I am guessing this is likely where I should post this information. 

My Company just bought a new MBO folder for our bindery.  The guys from Germany are here helping get things all set up and fine tuned.  One thing they need is a JDF file to add to their front end hot folder which should contain all of the folding information for the job.  Our workflow is Prinergy 8.3 which is integrated with Preps 8.3.  The only place I encounter JDF is with Preps, so I am guessing that is where I get the information they are looking for. We tried just adding the JDF file that shows up in the System/Imposition plans/Preps folder to try, but it had no folding information.
So I went to Preps preferences and on the Output tab I needed to check on Include JDF folding Data.  This seemed to change the makeup of the JDF file to include this information.  I was wondering about the "Include HTML file with JDF output for WST equipment setup" - Is this where I can make a file that is put to the hot folder destination on the MBO front end? If so, I think all I need is a share created.

I just want to know if I am on the right track before I start testing.
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

scottrsimons

Just about to head out the door, so I will double check the settings for the JDF. But if I remember correctly it is just a setting when you print from Preps back to Prinergy. But what might be the bigger issue, are you adding folding instructions to the Preps layouts? If not, it will not send anything back to the folders.

We do JDF to our cutters, but not our folders, so we don't add any folding instructions in Preps. Nor have I even brought that question up.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

PrepressCrapFixer

The whole process seems to hinge on us having some kind of Management Information System that feeds information as a JDF to the management system for the MBO folder.  All we have is a job tracking system (circa late 20th century) which is not going to work at all.  I thought we could create something out of preps, but it only seems to error at the MBO.  We also cannot generate any good Data Matrix codes for the camera reader on the folder because of this lack of MIS.  Kodak support only showed us how to generate a Data Matrix code by using the Custom Fields Manager in workshop. It can't be read.  
:wtf:
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

johnny_jay

We use Prinergy to create Data Matrix codes but they are an RBA adventure to set up. We use them for a plate sorting system.
The tough part is determining the data you want and and creating the Custom Fields for the Data Matrix Mark.

What Data does your folder need? I think the sizing is a bear to set up as well.

I would be of no help with the JDF fold info, we tried to send some data for cutting years ago but it was a mess.
Kodak Prinergy and InSite
Preps
Epson P7000 driven by Fiery XF
Screen 16000N
Screen R36000ZX
3 web presses, 1 sheetfed press
G7 Expert

PrepressCrapFixer

I am still figuring this one out a little at a time.  Kodaks response was to steer me towards their "Business Link" feature (of course more $$)
Germany steers me towards a Middleware called Lynx by Tessitura 

Does anyone have experience with either of these?  I don't want to have to tell the boss that we have to spend more money to get the already expensive folder to properly work. :vomit:

scottrsimons

If you are not setting up the layout and folding patterns in your MIS, I don't see why you would need any connection from your MIS to Prinergy. Since you have Preps, I believe that is where you would need to create all of your data. Although I have not done it before.

We needed help from Kodak to setup Preps to be able to send the JDF out for our cutters. But we have never setup any folding instructions in Preps for our folders. As I have never been asked to figure that out (kinda surprised and glad it hasn't happened). So, I believe if you have Preps setup to send the JDF when you print the layout back to Prinergy and you have the folding pattern setup in Preps, it might work.

I've seen the folding patterns in Preps before but never had to deal with them.

I created a simple layout in Preps and printed it back to Prinergy to get the JDF, which I have attached. I told Preps to include the folding data too. But in looking at the JDF, I don't see it but maybe I just don't know how to read it.

MBO_Test00001.ppf.zip
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!" - Homer J. Simpson

Joe

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on July 21, 2022, 12:54:03 PMI thought we could create something out of preps, but it only seems to error at the MBO.
In your Preps preferences have you tried different versions of JDF to see if makes a difference?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

Also have a look at this from the Preps manual. May not help but it does address the html file question you had.

Screen Shot 2022-10-26 at 9.22.55 AM.png
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

PrepressCrapFixer

At this point in time, I am able to load all of the information manually at the (MBO) DataManager and it seems to be operational.  I think finding a solution to the JDF file is going to require some more work and I am pretty much fed up with this whole process.  For the moment we can at least keep track of the work being done on the folder through reports that can be generated.  
Thanks for the helps guys.